Free tech support and tutoring for reading, communication, Spanish, and writing for any subject. All Writing Center services are available online to enrolled SCC students.
Students can access Writing Center services in many ways:
- Add the Writing Center to your Canvas dashboard: SCC WC Canvas*
- Request an online tutoring appointment
- Book your own appointment* (For instructions, see this page*)
- Use our Quick Question form
- Submit your assignment for review*
- Join a drop in session*
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call (480) 423-6416
*Requires MEID login
Writing Center Expectations
When using our services, students are expected to be aware of, understand and agree to the following guidelines.
- Tutoring is provided to help students become better writers and communicators. Tutors will support learning and answer questions, but they will not simply “fix” a paper– they do not edit, proofread, or spell-check
- The tutor’s role is one of general support and the ultimate responsibility for all work as to correctness, completeness, and responsiveness to the instructor’s requirements rests with the student
- Students must be currently enrolled in the SCC classes for which they receive tutoring
- Students must schedule appointments or submit essays to the Electronic Essay Review Service (EERS) before the due date to allow sufficient time for feedback and revision
- They may receive up to one (1) hour of individual tutoring per day
- They may request proof of tutoring attendance (for example, to be sent to an instructor)
- They may submit an essay for EERS review up to three (3) times per individual assignment
- EERS submissions will be returned within two (2) business days
- Abide by Writing Center tutoring policies
- Demonstrate mature, respectful behavior toward all Writing Center technicians, tutors, and staff as well as fellow students
- Develop specific questions or concerns about their writing rather than vague requests for help (e.g., “Does it flow?” or "Is it good?")
- Provide copies of drafts, assignment materials, or research as necessary
- Respond to Writing Center communications via Canvas, email, phone or other media in a timely manner
- Accept responsibility for their own academic performance
Tutoring Services are free to current Scottsdale Community College students.
For tutoring in all subjects:
- Students may receive a maximum of 1 hour of tutoring per day
- Students may self-schedule or call the Writing Center to make a tutoring appointment for the first available time
- Students may not receive tutoring for classes taken at other colleges regardless of concurrent enrollment at SCC
- Students who accumulate two (2) “no shows” (missing or showing up late without calling) are no longer eligible to self-schedule appointments for the semester. Students may still call to request an immediate opening, if available.
English tutoring can help students become better writers and communicators. Tutors can assist students with organization, grammar and usage, and other aspects of writing. Although they offer suggestions for improving essays, tutors will not write papers, make corrections for students, or proofread entire essays.
- English tutoring sessions are 30 minutes or 1 hour
- English tutoring is available online, via Canvas EERS submission, and in person (when campus is open)
- Students may receive tutoring for any SCC writing assignment, not just those assigned in English classes
Students studying English as a Second Language may receive assistance with any aspect of their courses, including writing assignments, pronunciation practice, and conversation skills.
- ESL tutoring sessions are 30 minutes or 1 hour
- ESL students may receive tutoring for any SCC class assignment
Reading tutoring can support the development of reading comprehension and study skills. Tutors can teach students pre-reading strategies; support improvement of reading comprehension, fluency, and speed; assist with vocabulary building; and provide a variety of note-taking methods and test-taking strategies.
- Reading tutoring sessions are 30 minutes or 1 hour Students may receive study skills and reading tutoring for any SCC assignment
Spanish tutors can assist students with homework exercises, test preparation, pronunciation practice, and conversation skills.
- Spanish tutoring sessions are 30 minutes or 1 hour
- Spanish tutoring is available online, via Canvas EERS submission, and in person (when campus is open)
COM tutoring can help students plan, develop and practice speeches, understand & meet assignment requirements, and learn the content better for course assessments. COM tutoring is available for students currently enrolled in ANY communication class at SCC.
- COM tutoring sessions are 30 minutes or 1 hour