Congratulations! Your big day is drawing near. There are several steps to take so you can graduate on time and participate in the Commencement Ceremony. The following information provides a step by step guide on how to apply for graduation. Graduation Application deadlines are listed below
- Fall 2020 Graduates - Friday, October 2, 2020
- Spring 2021 Graduates - Friday, March 5, 2021
- Summer 2021 Graduates - Friday, June 4, 2021
Who Can Graduate
The Maricopa Community Colleges offer Certificates of Completion as well as Associate Degrees, one of which is conferred on each student who has completed a program of study. These certificates and degrees are:
- Certificate of Completion (Career Program Specified)
- Academic Certificate; General Education Certificate
- Associate in Arts; Associate in Science
- Associate in Business
- Associate in General Studies
- Associate in Transfer Partnership
- Associate in Applied Science (Career Program Specified)
- For more details and additional requirements and limitations please review the Catalog.
All students are required to complete the degree and/or certificate requirements as approved by the MCCCD Governing Board. The college reserves the right to make necessary course and program changes in order to meet current educational standards. In addition, students must:
- Be credited, in the Office of Admissions and Records, with no fewer than:
- 60 semester credit units in courses numbered 100 or above for the Associate in Arts degree, Associate in Science degree, Associate in Transfer Partnership degree, and Associate in General Studies degree
- 60 semester credit units for the Associate in Applied Science degree
- 62 semester credits for the Associate in Business degrees
- The minimum total of credit units required for specific certificate programs
- NOTE: Students not continuously enrolled, as outlined in the Catalog Under Which a Student Graduates policy, must satisfy current graduation requirements.
- Have earned a minimum of 12 semester credit units toward the degree or certificate at the college granting the degree or certificate (i.e. at Scottsdale Community College). In cases where the certificate requires fewer than 12 credit units, a minimum of six credit units must be completed at the college awarding the certificate (i.e. Scottsdale Community College).
- Have filed an application for the degree or certificate with the Office of Admissions and Records on the date determined by the college/center. NOTE: Associate of Applied Science in Nursing students must apply for graduation from the college where they are completing Block 4 classes.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 at the college granting the degree.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 in all courses used to fulfill degree requirements. Some specific programs have higher grade requirements, and it is the student's responsibility to be aware of these program requirements.
- Have removed, thirty (30) days after the anticipated graduation date, all deficiencies on the record to use those courses toward program completion.
- Have removed any indebtedness to any MCCCD college/center.
Students maintaining continuous enrollment at any public Arizona community college or university may graduate according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of initial enrollment or according to the requirements of any single catalog in effect during subsequent terms of continuous enrollment. Students may maintain continuous enrollment whether attending a single public community college or university in Arizona or transferring among public institutions in Arizona while pursuing their degrees.
In areas of study in which the subject matter changes rapidly, material in courses taken long before graduation may become obsolete or irrelevant. Coursework that is more than eight years old is applicable to completion of degree requirements at the discretion of the student's major department. Departments may accept such coursework, reject it, or request that the student revalidate its substance.
The eight-year limit on coursework applies except when program accreditation agencies limit the life of coursework to less than eight years. Departments may also require students to satisfy current major requirements rather than major requirements in earlier catalogs, when completing earlier requirements is no longer possible or educationally sound. The college reserves the right to make necessary course and program changes in order to meet current educational standards.
Steps to Graduation
Fill out the Request to Graduate form online. Your signature on the Request to Graduate form gives consent to publish your name in the college commencement program.
Ensure that all credits received at other non-Maricopa colleges are part of your SCC student record. Order official transcripts from each non-Maricopa college and have them sent directly to Scottsdale Community College:
Scottsdale Community College
Admissions, Records, and Registration
9000 E. Chaparral Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85256
Please note: You do not need to request that other Maricopa Community College transcripts be sent to SCC.
Your Advisor will review your graduation request, academic record, and degree completion progress. If all requirements appear to be met, your Advisor will approve your request. However, if your Advisor has any questions or sees any potential deficiencies, s(he) will contact you by email for more information or to request you schedule an appointment. Your application will not be complete until any deficiencies are fixed and your Advisor approves it.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and based on the direction of public health professionals, commencement will be held online in May. Update information will be sent to your Maricopa Student email as it becomes available.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yes. On May 21, 2021, Scottsdale Community College will host a virtual ceremony for the graduates from the Summer 2020, Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 term to celebrate their achievements. The celebration will be live on May 21 and will be available for a couple of weeks so graduates can plan to celebrate with family and friends at a time that is convenient.
Due to the current status of the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure the safety of our graduates, their families and friends and our community, no in-person celebrations are being planned for the 2021 celebration. We hope to return to in-person celebrations in 2022.
Yes. You must apply to graduate regardless of ceremony participation.
Graduates will receive communications by text message and also by emails sent to their Maricopa Student email account with invitations to participate in the celebration. Graduates will be invited to submit a personal message and a photo to be included on their personalized slide. A link will be provided in the text/email on how to submit information. Deadline to submit photo and message will be April 20, 2021.
The safety of our community is extremely important right now as COVID-19 continues to spread across the Phoenix metropolitan area and throughout Arizona. To help reduce the number of people becoming infected with COVID-19, Scottsdale Community College encourages everyone to follow current state guidance to stay home and practice physical distancing as much as possible. The college is working on additional ways to safely help graduates celebrate their achievements.
No. If students choose not to take part in any ceremony and their academic requirements are met, similar to prior years, students will receive their diplomas in the mail.
At the end of the term, all graduation applications are reviewed to ensure all academic requirements have been met Once the review is complete, the award will be posted to the student account and will be posted the student transcripts. Diplomas will be printed and mailed in July. Graduates will receive an email notification via their Maricopa student email account when the award has been posted to their account. Diplomas are mailed to the graduate’s home address. Graduates are requested to keep their home address in their Student Center at My.maricopa.edu current and accurate.
Honor cords will be mailed to graduates with the diploma in July. Honor Cords are distributed based on graduating GPA:
- Distinction: 3.5-3.69 (white cord)
- High Distinction: 3.7-3.89 (red cord)
- Highest Distinction: 3.9-4.0 (blue cord)
Normally, there is a commencement fee for participation in Commencement celebrations. There is no fee for submitting a graduation application. For the Spring 2021 celebration, Scottsdale Community College will not be charging graduates to participate. The only charges will be for regalia, which is optional.