Congratulations! Your big day is drawing near. There are several steps to take so you can graduate on time and participate in the Commencement Ceremony. The following information provides a step by step guide on how to apply for graduation. Graduation Application deadlines are listed below
- Fall 2020 Graduates - Friday, October 2, 2020
- Spring 2021 Graduates - Friday, March 5, 2021
- Summer 2021 Graduates - Friday, June 4, 2021
Who Can Graduate
The Maricopa Community Colleges offer Certificates of Completion as well as Associate Degrees, one of which is conferred on each student who has completed a program of study. These certificates and degrees are:
- Certificate of Completion (Career Program Specified)
- Academic Certificate; General Education Certificate
- Associate in Arts; Associate in Science
- Associate in Business
- Associate in General Studies
- Associate in Transfer Partnership
- Associate in Applied Science (Career Program Specified)
- For more details and additional requirements and limitations please review the Catalog.
All students are required to complete the degree and/or certificate requirements as approved by the MCCCD Governing Board. The college reserves the right to make necessary course and program changes in order to meet current educational standards. In addition, students must:
- Be credited, in the Office of Admissions and Records, with no fewer than:
- 60 semester credit units in courses numbered 100 or above for the Associate in Arts degree, Associate in Science degree, Associate in Transfer Partnership degree, and Associate in General Studies degree
- 60 semester credit units for the Associate in Applied Science degree
- 62 semester credits for the Associate in Business degrees
- The minimum total of credit units required for specific certificate programs
- NOTE: Students not continuously enrolled, as outlined in the Catalog Under Which a Student Graduates policy, must satisfy current graduation requirements.
- Have earned a minimum of 12 semester credit units toward the degree or certificate at the college granting the degree or certificate (i.e. at Scottsdale Community College). In cases where the certificate requires fewer than 12 credit units, a minimum of six credit units must be completed at the college awarding the certificate (i.e. Scottsdale Community College).
- Have filed an application for the degree or certificate with the Office of Admissions and Records on the date determined by the college/center. NOTE: Associate of Applied Science in Nursing students must apply for graduation from the college where they are completing Block 4 classes.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 at the college granting the degree.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 in all courses used to fulfill degree requirements. Some specific programs have higher grade requirements, and it is the student's responsibility to be aware of these program requirements.
- Have removed, thirty (30) days after the anticipated graduation date, all deficiencies on the record to use those courses toward program completion.
- Have removed any indebtedness to any MCCCD college/center.
Students maintaining continuous enrollment at any public Arizona community college or university may graduate according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of initial enrollment or according to the requirements of any single catalog in effect during subsequent terms of continuous enrollment. Students may maintain continuous enrollment whether attending a single public community college or university in Arizona or transferring among public institutions in Arizona while pursuing their degrees.
In areas of study in which the subject matter changes rapidly, material in courses taken long before graduation may become obsolete or irrelevant. Coursework that is more than eight years old is applicable to completion of degree requirements at the discretion of the student's major department. Departments may accept such coursework, reject it, or request that the student revalidate its substance.
The eight-year limit on coursework applies except when program accreditation agencies limit the life of coursework to less than eight years. Departments may also require students to satisfy current major requirements rather than major requirements in earlier catalogs, when completing earlier requirements is no longer possible or educationally sound. The college reserves the right to make necessary course and program changes in order to meet current educational standards.
Steps to Graduation
Ensure that all credits received at other non-Maricopa colleges are part of your SCC student record. Order official transcripts from each non-Maricopa college and have them sent directly to Scottsdale Community College:
Scottsdale Community College
Admissions, Records, and Registration
9000 E. Chaparral Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85256
Please note: You do not need to request that other Maricopa Community College transcripts be sent to SCC.
Schedule a time to meet with your Academic Advisor about graduation. You may either:
- Visit the Academic and Career Advisement Center during walk-in hours Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Book an appointment Wednesdays-Fridays
During your appointment, your Advisor will review your graduation application, academic record, and degree completion progress with you. If there are any deficiencies with your application, your Advisor will address them with you and provide guidance to fixing them. Your application will not be complete until any deficiencies are fixed and your Advisor approves it.
Your signature on the Graduation Application gives consent to publish your name in the college commencement program.
NOTE: Final graduation evaluations are completed by Admissions/Records Graduation Specialist AFTER final grades are posted every semester.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and based on the direction of public health professionals, all in-person Commencement and Convocation ceremonies scheduled for April and May 2020 have been canceled.
Alternative commencement options are being considered at this time. Update information will be sent to your Maricopa Student email as it becomes available.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Yes. On June 5, Scottsdale Community College will host a virtual ceremony for the class of 2020 to celebrate their achievements. The celebration will be available for several weeks so graduates can plan to celebrate with family and friends at a time that is convenient.
Yes. In addition to the virtual ceremonies, graduates will be invited to participate in the Spring 2021 ceremony.
You are welcome to do both. Virtual ceremonies are a way to allow graduates to celebrate their achievements on schedule, until public health officials report that it is safe to gather in person. Scottsdale Community College also invites you to participate in person in the May 2021 commencement event.
Yes. You must apply to graduate regardless of ceremony participation.
Graduates will submit a registration to participate. If you would like to include your personal message along with a photo, you will need to complete the Virtual Graduation Registration. Graduates received information including a link to register sent on May 5 to their Maricopa student email account.
The safety of our community is extremely important right now as COVID-19 continues to spread across the Phoenix metropolitan area and throughout Arizona. To help reduce the number of people becoming infected with COVID-19, Scottsdale Community College encourages everyone to follow current state guidance to stay home and practice physical distancing as much as possible. The college is working on additional ways to safely help graduates celebrate their achievements.
No. If students choose not to take part in any ceremony and their academic requirements are met, similar to prior years, students will receive their diplomas in the mail.
If your academic requirements are met, similar to prior years, students will receive their diplomas in the mail. Diplomas will be mailed in late July. Graduates will receive an email notification via their Maricopa email account when their degree/certificate has been posted to their student account. Diplomas are mailed to the graduate’s home address which can be viewed and updated in the graduate’s Student Center at My.maricopa.edu.
Yes. You may purchase your cap and gown directly from our regalia vendor. Orders must be placed by 9 pm on Sunday, June 7, 2020
Honor cords will be mailed to graduates with the diploma in July. Honor Cords are distributed based on graduating GPA:
- Distinction: 3.5-3.69 (white cord)
- High Distinction: 3.7-3.89 (red cord)
- Highest Distinction: 3.9-4.0 (blue cord)
Normally, there is a graduation fee to participate in Commencement celebrations. For the Spring 2020 celebration, Scottsdale Community College will not be charging graduates to participate. The only charges will be for regalia, which is optional.