What is Academic Wellbeing?
When we experience this dimension of wellbeing, we engage in creative and mentally-stimulating activities, and we truly enjoy learning. Students with a strong sense of academic wellbeing are able to see final exams, projects and presentations as challenging but exciting opportunities to demonstrate what they have learned!
Learning to manage your STRESS in a positive way is one route to enhancing your overall academic wellbeing, especially at the end of the semester!
What is stress and how does it impact wellbeing?
Stress is the result of how our bodies and minds react to things that threaten or challenge us. Stressors (sources of stress) can be positive or negative events. At the end of the semester, going in the holiday season, a lot of people experience higher levels of stress! How we react to increased levels of stress can play a big role in how we do on final exams, projects and papers, on the experience we have over the holidays, and on our overall feeling of wellbeing!
How does stress impact performance on final exams? The Yerkes-Dodson Law states that a moderate level of arousal (stress) improves performance. Too much arousal, or too little, causes performance to decrease. In terms of test performance, this means that “increased arousal can lead to better test performance by helping you stay alert, focused, and attentive. Excessive arousal can lead to test anxiety and leave you nervous and unable to concentrate on the test. When arousal levels are very high or very low, performance tends to be worse.” (https://www.verywellmind.com/the-arousal-theory-of-motivation-2795380)
How can I manage my stress effectively so that I can perform my best and increase my academic, and overall, wellbeing?
- Recognize that your stress response CAN be helpful – it means you care and are motivated to do your best!
- Unplug from social media
- Focus on time management
- Sleep well and eat healthy foods
- Make time for exercise
- Practice breathing exercises and other relaxation techniques
- Talk to someone
- Counselors at SCC are available to talk to you about all of these strategies and more!
For more information on stress management strategies for college students:
- How to Beat Test Anxiety and Take on Exams Without Stress
- Six Healthy Ways to Reduce Stress During Final Exams
- College Life How to Reduce Stress
- College Students Guide to Stress Management Infographic
- 20 Study Tips for Finals
Academic Wellbeing Resources at SCC
- Know when your final exams are! Consult your course syllabi and the final exam schedule.
- Use the FREE SCC Tutoring and Learning Centers on campus!
- Meet with your instructors in Office Hours to ask questions and feel more prepared for finals.
- Feel unsure about attending office hours? You aren’t alone! Watch this video created by ASU.
- Meet with an SCC Counselor to talk about study strategies and managing test anxiety.