Please know that you’re not alone. SCC’s Counseling faculty are available to provide community resources during this difficult time. Call (480) 423-6524 or email [email protected] to schedule an appointment.
If you would like assistance reporting the crime or obtaining an order of protection, reach out to SCC’s Police Department at (480) 423-6175 for guidance.
Domestic Violence: What you should know
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports:
- In 2017, more than 19,000 people were victims of homicide and more than 1.7 million were treated in hospital emergency departments for an assault-related injury
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 7 men experience severe physical violence from an intimate partner in their lifetime
- 10% of women and 2% of men experience stalking
- About 11 million women and 5 million men who reported experiencing sexual violence, physical violence, or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime said that they first experienced these forms of violence before the age of 18
Domestic Violence Resources:
Sexual Violence: What you should know
Sexual violence is a major problem for college students. According to the Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (RAINN) Campus Sexual Violence Statistics:
- 23% of undergraduate females and 5% of undergraduate males experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation
- Women ages 18-24 are at a higher risk of sexual violence
- More than 50% of college sexual assaults occur in either August, September, October, or November.
- Students are most at risk during the first few months of their first and second semesters in college
Sexual Violence Resources:
EMPACT- Suicide Prevention Center Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services: The rape crisis and domestic violence center serving the Metropolitan Phoenix region of Arizona provides free and confidential referrals; services for sexual assault victims; and safety planning for victims of intimate partner violence, survivors, and their family and friends. This service provider also offers emergency shelter services.
- Crisis Hotline: 24/7 (480) 784-1500
- Main Line: (480) 784-1514
- Address: 1232 E. Broadway Road Suite 120 Tempe, AZ 85282
- Website: http://www.lafronteraaz.org/
Sexual & Domestic Violence Services Helpline: Get help now. Chat with a victim services specialist. Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm. (602) 279-2980 or AZ Relay Service: 7-1-1.
National Sexual Assault Hotline: (800) 656-HOPE (4673). Get the free app.
More resources and information
- Arizona Coalition to End Sexual and Domestic Violence
- Domestic Violence & Human Trafficking Resources
- National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
- Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (RAINN)
- The Center for Relationship Abuse Awareness
- Domestic violence facts and statistics (PDF)
- Impact of domestic violence (PDF)
- Resources for college students