Welcome to the Psi Gamma chapter at Scottsdale Community College!
The Psi Gamma chapter at Scottsdale Community College is a 5-Star chapter. We have received regional and national recognition for our Honors in Action and campus events.
Phi Theta Kappa was founded in 1918 to recognize and encourage scholarship among community college students. With over 1,300 active chapters in the U.S., Canada, Germany, and Japan, the society provides an opportunity for leadership development, service, scholarship, and fellowship. We are proud of our members and know they will continue to make positive contributions in business, industry, education, government, and the community.
Participation & Benefits
Students who meet the requirements to be a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society will be invited to join via a formal process (see Requirements page).
- Students who join Phi Theta Kappa are lifetime members of the International Honor Society. They are expected to maintain a 3.5 G.P.A. during their academic career to remain in the Honor Society. Members graduate with “honors” designation, which entitles them to wear designated regalia for commencement/graduation exercises and have this distinction placed on their transcript (must be requested by the student). Additionally, numerous transfer scholarships are available just for being a member of the Honor Society.
- Additionally, members can choose to participate in the student organization side of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, which is the Psi Gamma chapter. Members can serve as officers and active members in coordinating campus and community events that focus on scholarship, service, leadership development, and fellowship. Members who choose to participate in Psi Gamma activities and functions are eligible for additional scholarships and recognitions (see About Psi Gamma page).
In order to be eligible to join Phi Theta Kappa-Psi Gamma chapter, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled at Scottsdale Community College (SCC) as a degree-seeking student
- Completed a minimum of 12 credits at Scottsdale Community College
- Completed 12 credits should be 100-level courses or greater (classes such as ENG 091 do not count)
- Earned a 3.5 G.P.A.
Students who have met the requirements listed above will be sent a formal invitation letter to join Psi Gamma chapter. Invitation letters are typically sent out at the start of every semester. Invitation letters provide a REQUIRED access code needed to register with Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society. Students will be asked to attend one SCC orientation session and encouraged to attend the SCC Induction Ceremony, where they will be officially inducted as members.
- Phi Theta Kappa’s International membership fee is $55. It is paid only once.
- Members are also required to pay a one-time regional fee.