Documentation FAQs

Why do I need to provide documentation?

Documentation provides insight about a student's history of receiving accommodations, recommendations from a treatment provider, and information about the student's disability. It is the responsibility of the student to provide documentation to the DRS office in order to receive accommodations. Documentation should support each accommodation and the DRS may request additional documentation from a student before determining an accommodation to be reasonable. Please refer to the District Office's Administrative Regulation for more detailed information about documentation.

What are some types of documentation?

Examples of documentation include:

  • Medical records
  • School records
  • Neurological evaluations
  • Psychological evaluations
  • Psychosocial assessments
  • Letter from a current treatment provider (i.e. clinical social worker, psychologist, psychiatrist, or medical doctor)

What do I do if I do not have documentation?

If you do not have documentation, DRS still encourages you to follow our affiliation process and meet with a DRS representative to have a discussion. We also have a list of local providers if you are looking for resources to start the documentation process.

How do I know if my documentation supports reasonable accommodations?

If you are unsure whether your documents support reasonable accommodations, please follow our affiliation process and submit your documents. If additional documentation is needed it will be discussed in your meeting with the DRS.

Is my documentation or diagnosis shared with anyone else?

Documentation is confidential and will be used for the purpose of determining reasonable accommodations. The student reserves the right to self-disclose their disability to peers, professors, and campus staff. The DRS promotes self-advocacy and we are available to discuss any self-disclosure questions or concerns students may have.