Got a great new business idea?
Have you recently launched a business and are looking for guidance and support to help it grow? SCC’s Business School wants to help you nurture your entrepreneurial spirit by sponsoring the annual SCC Big Pitch Competition, on February 23, 2021.
Open to all SCC students, participants can pitch their new business concept and hone their business skills. The winner of SCC’s Big Pitch Competition will go on to represent the college at a larger The Big Pitch contest sponsored by the Maricopa Community College District and the Center for Entrepreneurial Innovation, in Phoenix, with up to $20,000 in cash and business services awarded.
“Our Fighting Artichoke students come up with some amazing new business ventures that are thriving today,” said Sue Sandblom, SCC Business faculty and chair. “The events of 2020 alone are creating unlimited possibilities for savvy entrepreneurs to offer innovative new products and business concepts.”
Business idea description
You must describe your business or business idea in no more than 500 words. Your response should include information about what type of product or service you plan to develop and sell, what industry you will focus on, who your ideal customer would be, what problem you are solving for that customer, and how you will reach your customer (online, in-person, etc.). Please use as much detail as possible so application reviewers can easily understand what your business or idea is about.
Open to all SCC students
Any SCC student currently enrolled in the Spring 2021 semester (taking a minimum of 3 credits) can apply. You do not need to be a Business major or enrolled in a Business course. You should have a basic business plan for your idea and/or you've recently launched a business and are looking for guidance and support to help it grow.
You must be able to attend a Spring break bootcamp, March 15-19, and the Big Pitch Competition the evening of March 24.
- To be considered for SCC’s The Big Pitch competition, you must submit your online application by 5 p.m., February 15, 2021.
- A committee of cross-disciplinary faculty from the Business School will evaluate the business ideas and select the top 5 best ideas. Students will be notified by 5 p.m., February 16.
- Students will pitch their business concept to community members on February 23, and they will select the winners.
Students participating in the SCC Big Pitch will win $250 for first place, $150 for second place, and $100 for third place. All top-three finishers will receive an Associate Membership with Arizona Small Business Association (ASBA).
- February 15, 2021 – Application deadline. Submit your online application by 5 p.m.
- February 16, 2021 – Selected students will be notified.
- February 20, 2021 – Learn how to make your pitch in this free workshop by Entrepreneurial Studies faculty Rick Krug. (9 a.m. to Noon).
- February 23, 2021 – Participate in the SCC Big Pitch online event, from 3:00 to 5:30 p.m., by pitching the business concept to community members. Winners announced at approximately 6 p.m.
- March 12 - Free testing for COVID and antibodies at Gateway CC
- March 15-19, 2021 – The SCC student winner participates in the accelerator week.
- March 24, 2021 – The SCC student winner participates in The Big Pitch virtual pitch competition (MCCCD and Center for Entrepreneurial Innovation).
To enter the SCC Big Pitch Competition, submit your online application.
Got questions or need more information? Contact Sue Sandblom, Business faculty and chair, at (480) 425-6792 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Beyond this competition, for those who wish to enhance their business skills, consider the many Business program, certificate and course options available at SCC.
- 2020: A “Radnaut” wins SCC’s Little Pitch Entrepreneurship Competition
- 2019: Scottsdale Community College’s Business Student Wilson Okwuobu Wins Entrepreneurial Contest.
Special thanks for the support of our generous sponsors.