Education STEP Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification
NEW! Statewide LIVE Online STEP program beginning in May 2021.
SCC is the only one year model in the valley!
The Scottsdale Teacher Education Partnership (STEP) Post-Baccalaureate teacher certification programs at Scottsdale Community College are designed for students that have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in any discipline and would like to become a certified teacher in grades K through 8.
The SCC STEP program:
- Fulfills requirements for Elementary Teacher Certification (grades K-8) and the state Structured English Immersion requirement
- Fast Track Hybrid Model (face to face classroom meetings and online work)
- NEW! Fast Track LIVE Online model for residents outside Maricopa county (all course work will be completed in a LIVE online format utilizing a virtual platform)
- Twelve month intensive program that meets two days per week to complete course work
- Courses taught by experienced classroom teachers and college professors
- Integration of college coursework and classroom experience
- Cohort group of students participate in all coursework together
- High marketability of graduates
- Reduced community college tuition cost
- Program approved by the Arizona State Board of Education
SCC offers Two Pathways to Teacher Certification
The SCC STEP program offers two pathways to teacher certification. Both pathways are designed for individuals who have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in any discipline.
The Traditional Pathway is geared toward the candidate who would like to work closely in the classroom with master mentor teachers while completing course work. This one year cohort is designed as a field-based preparation program that allows students to learn to teach by working side-by-side with teachers and students in elementary and middle school classrooms. STEP students intern in school districts throughout the valley.
Applications are currently being accepted for the following cohorts:
- 2021-2022 May Cohort
- 2021-2022 November Cohort
Teacher in Residence Pathway
The Teacher in Residence Pathway is geared toward the candidate who has been substitute teaching or working as a paraprofessional and is ready to teach. This one year cohort allows candidates to be employed full time in a classroom while completing required education courses for certification. SCC STEP partners with school districts throughout the valley.
- 2021-2022 May Cohort
NEW Statewide Teacher in Residence Pathway
The new “LIVE Online” statewide Teacher in Residence (TIR) pathway will be available to AZ residents living outside Maricopa county beginning in May of 2021. This one-year Live Online cohort will allow candidates to enroll as a Teacher in Resident candidate.
SCC STEP partners with school districts throughout the state.
Why choose LIVE Online?
- Engage in “real time sessions” with LIVE Online Education instructors allowing for seamless communication
- Develop stronger relationships with instructors and other students
- Ask questions and receive answers in “real time”
- Allows for a deeper level of student/teacher interaction when compared to online instruction only.
- Allows for active engagement and collaboration in learning by participating in breakout sessions with other STEP students
- Brings the essence of the physical classroom to the virtual environment
- Courses will be offered in a LIVE online format on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 to 6 pm.
Applications are currently being accepted for the following cohort:
- 2021-2022 May Cohort
Apply for STEP
- Send in your application today to reserve your spot.
- More detailed information and forms can be found under Downloads (upper left).
- Please email STEP@scottsdalecc.edu with any questions.
- Please submit all required paperwork to Julie Ruiz, STEP Program Coordinator. firstname.lastname@example.org
Acceptance into the STEP program is not guaranteed. Once the paperwork has been received an in-person interview will be scheduled. Formal acceptance into the program will occur once all elements of the application and interview results are evaluated by the STEP Education Acceptance Committee.
STEP is proud to partner with the Arizona’s Teachers Academy!
The Arizona Teachers Academy’s (ATA) goal is to promote education as a career and bring more qualified individuals into the classroom.
The Arizona Teachers Academy at Scottsdale Community College provides financial assistance to qualified candidates who are enrolled in the Scottsdale Teacher Education Partnership (STEP) post baccalaureate teacher preparation program. The scholarship will pay for all tuition costs and course fees.
ATA scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis for students who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Are admitted to the SCC STEP program
- Have submitted an Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
For each year the Arizona Teachers Academy scholarship is awarded, you will be expected to teach in an Arizona public or charter school. Since the SCC STEP program is a 1-year program, you will be expected to teach in an Arizona school for at least one year.
If a candidate does not fulfill the required one year of teaching in an Arizona school, the candidate will be required to reimburse the Arizona Board of Regents for the amount of the ATA scholarship for tuition and fees that were awarded.