SPAIC is a nonpartisan council whose mission is to strive for a healthy and prosperous college community that has an inclusive and diverse culture and promotes equitable access and opportunity for all people. We build awareness, solutions, and leadership for social justice by generating transformative ideas, information, and experiences.
Our charge is to:
- Provide opportunities to explore, learn and share information and provide opportunities that will support our campus; to include Students, Staff and Faculty.
- Build a campus that is committed to engaging the voices and respecting the humanity of all people.
- Support growth in diversity.
- Create space at the table for all groups to contribute.
- Encourage ideas of justice, accountability, community, and social change.
- Celebrate the gifts of diversity, equity, and inclusion, understanding that together we are better and richer as a community of wholeness than just the sum of our individual parts.
We envision a world where society and its systems are just, fair, and inclusive. Earnest dialogue and active listening are keys to challenging our assumptions and understanding those who are different from us, thus enabling all people to participate and reach their full potential. We strive to be leaders where the culture and commitment created by our multi-racial and diverse staff supports individual and organizational excellence and sustainability.
Interested in self-reflection? Here are some resources to get you started:
- Implicit and Explicit Bias: Harvard Implicit Association Test
- Georgetown University: Two Types of Bias
- The Racial Healing Handbook by Anneleise Singh, available in the SCC Library