A well-made production, be it live theatre or a skillfully crafted film, is not easy to do. But for some, the foundational skills needed for quality production design and technique is an appealing challenge.
If the arts of theatre and film have always held your interest, why not make a career of it? Our experienced theatre and film school instructors will teach you the world of technical theatre, how to work on professional stage productions and the art of filmmaking. Aside from the experience you’ll gain from theatre and film making, you will develop a portfolio of academic work to showcase throughout your artistic career.
Now’s the time to make it happen. Start your education in theatre today.
Students at any Maricopa Community College may need to complete courses at more than one of our colleges.
Taught by professionals to become a professional! SCC’s nationally-recognized Theatre Arts program inspires a new community of Theatre students through a combination of classroom study and production applications that emphasize the collaborative nature of Theatre Arts.
What you can expect: SCC’s Theatre Arts program is recognized by national theatre educators and professionals for the outstanding achievements of its students and faculty.
The program combines classroom study with opportunities for public performances each semester, and summer professional training through the Scottsdale Conservatory Theatre.
The SCC Theatre Arts program prepares students to achieve their personal and professional goals in a number of ways. Students may:
- Prepare for professional careers in theatre and related entertainment fields
- Fulfill degree requirements for the Associate of Arts (A.A.) and Associate of Arts, Fine Arts (A.A.F.A.) degrees
- Pursue humanities and fine arts electives for general studies
- Explore personal creativity
- Cultivate critical skills as an audience member
The Theatre Arts program at SCC offers students a friendly atmosphere, close contact with faculty and staff, small classes with individual attention, immediate opportunities for production participation, and a student club!
What are you looking for? The Theatre Arts program offers you an exciting hands-on theatrical experience that prepares you for the professional world or a transfer to a four-year university. Our courses are taught by industry professionals, to help you become a professional.
Theatre Degree Options:
- The A.A.F.A. transfer degree combines the required lower-division courses for students transferring to an Arizona university with courses for a Theatre Arts major. You can focus on an emphasis in Acting, Design or Technical Theatre.
- Occupational Certificate in Technical Theatre – This is a hands’ on degree that focuses on career placement. It is an intense study in technical theatre, with virtually no general education requirements for completion. Upcoming certificate areas of study include: Audio, Lighting, Costuming, Hair and Makeup, Set Construction, Props, Stage Crew, Puppetry, and Cosplay.
- The Technical Theatre program is designed for students pursuing careers in all aspects of theatre technology. The curriculum includes a foundation in technical theatre with a choice of production or sound design. The program is designed to aid students in developing skills and knowledge for positions such as set and exhibit construction, painting, mounting and managing; stage lighting and sound; and properties construction and management, in addition to backstage technical theatre personnel skills.
To find out what we’re up to in real time, follow us using the following info:
- Artists Creating Theatre @Scottsdale Community College
- SSFTatSCC Facebook group
Experiential Learning Opportunities
Theatre offers you many options to learn, explore and create. You can study any of the diverse areas the theatre has to offer, including acting for the stage and screen, combat for the stage and screen, theatrical design, stage management, technical direction, set construction, lighting, sound, costume design and construction, makeup, and Cosplay; all in a safe space designed to allow you to explore your potential as an artist and professional.
Artists Creating Theatre Club (A.C.T.) – Any student at Scottsdale Community College is welcome and encouraged to be a part of the ACT. The purpose of A.C.T. is to participate, promote, and support SCC Theatre Arts community. This includes providing support and feedback for work you are in the process of creating, developing and honing your improvisation and audition skills, and most important, serving as a way to network with your fellow theatre and film artists.
Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival – SCC is an active participant in the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF) which offers students additional opportunities for special recognition, awards, scholarships, and professional networking.
Classes are offered in a variety of formats: in-person, online, hybrid, day, evening, full-time and part-time.
Most of our courses use low-cost textbooks or no cost material provided by your instructors. General education courses may have textbooks that cost more.