Useful Information

Avoid problems with receiving benefits

  • Fill out the Request for Benefits form completely. The RFB form is located on the Benefit Eligibility page, item #5.
  • Report any schedule changes to the Veteran Services office (VSO).
  • Be aware of short-term and fast-track classes
  • Make the monthly verification part of a routine (Chapter 33, 33 TOE, 35, 30, and 1606).
  • All punitive grades are payable, but extended academic probation will suspend your benefits.

Break Pay is no longer offered by Veterans Affairs.

Advance Pay is for a veteran who has had a break in enrollment and benefits or is new to benefits. The veteran may ask for an advance in pay at the beginning of the term. Veterans electing to use the Chapter 33 post 9/11 benefit are not currently eligible for advance pay.

Work Study Program may be available to any student receiving Veterans education benefits and attending any college three-quarter time or more. The student may work at a college veteran’s office, VA Medical Facilities, VA Regional Office, or at approved state employment office. Work-study students are paid minimum wage, and these payments are non-taxable.


Prior official transcripts from any college, university, or military school you have attended should be requested for SCC Admissions Office, and a copy (unofficial or student copy) submitted to Veteran& Services office. All official transcripts must be sent from institution to institution, hand carried transcripts are not accepted in Admissions & Records.