Associate in Arts, Emphasis in Community Health
The Associate in Arts (AA), Emphasis in Community Health provides the first two years of a four-year curriculum for students who wish to specialize in community health, integrative health, health care coordination, and related health systems fields. Students planning to apply to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing program should consult with a transfer specialist. Students seeking employment in the area of Community Health upon completion of a certificate or associate degree should refer to the Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Integrated Public Health: Community Health Work or the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Integrated Public Health.
Students must earn a grade of C or better in each course in the program.
Students at any Maricopa Community College may need to complete courses at more than one of our colleges.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Describe the components of the United States health system and the professional roles typical in health care settings.
- Interpret ethical, professional, and legal standards specific to the health care system.
- Describe human health, behavior, and development across the life cycle.
- Analyze individual and social determinants contributing to health outcomes and health inequities.
- Summarize scientific information from diverse sources related to human health, wellness, and disease.
- Evaluate sources of scientific health care data to support evidence-based practices.
- Communicate health-related information to diverse groups in verbal, nonverbal, and written forms.
- Apply relevant knowledge, skills, and habits of mind to seek career opportunities in the field.
Successful completion of this degree may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this degree. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Community Health Workers
$45,324 Show expanded career information for Community Health Workers
$45,663 Show expanded career information for Health Educators
Medical and Health Services Managers
$106,003 Show expanded career information for Medical and Health Services Managers
Social and Community Service Managers
$67,291 Show expanded career information for Social and Community Service Managers
Social and Human Service Assistants
$35,687 Show expanded career information for Social and Human Service Assistants
- Community and Social Service Specialists, All Other
- Healthcare Support Workers, All Other
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include FYE101 and FYE103. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
Term 1 Term 1 Term 1
Term 2 Term 2 Term 2
Term 3 Term 3 Term 3
Term 4 Term 4 Term 4
Critical Course = A course that is highly predictive of future success in a pathway.
- C = Cultural Diversity in the US
- CS = Computer/Statistics/Quantitative Application
- FYC = First Year Composition
- G = Global Awareness
- H = Historical Awareness
- HU = Humanities, Fine Arts, and Design
- L = Literacy & Critical Inquiry
- MA = Mathematics
- SB = Social-Behavioral Sciences
- SG = Natural Sciences General
- SQ = Natural Sciences Quantitative
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Associate in Arts in Associate in Arts, Emphasis in Community Health (https://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm10?id=176480).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.