The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in General Business program is designed to meet the needs of students who wish a broad overview of business and desire not to enroll in a specialized curriculum in business. The program is designed to acquaint students with major subject areas of business, to improve the student's business vocabulary, and to provide students with an understanding of influencing factors in business decision making and activities. In addition, this program may aid a student in recognizing a specific business field to be pursued in future studies. Although many courses will transfer to a four-year institution, some courses do not. This curriculum is not designed to meet the needs of students who wish to transfer to a four-year institution. A Certificate of Completion (CCL) is also available.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Identify, describe, and use the fundamental principles and practices of accounting.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of computer information systems, computer concepts, microcomputer applications, and programming techniques.
- Describe and explain the fundamental theories and concepts of human relations in business and industry.
- Identify the fundamental characteristics and functions of modern business, including business principles, marketing, labor relations, and business risk.
- Identify and define legal theories, ethical issues, and regulatory climate affecting business policies and decisions.
- Create and analyze internal and external business communications, including various verbal and nonverbal techniques.
- Identify marketing environments and segmentation, and explain the importance of marketing planning, forecasting, and research.
Successful completion of this program may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Arizona-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information.
General and Operations Managers
CRE101 Critical and Evaluative Reading or equivalent by assessment.
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include CPD150, CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
- Consult with your faculty mentor or academic advisor to determine educational requirements, including possible university transfer options, for your chosen career field.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|CIS105||Survey of Computer Information Systems||RC||3|
|ENG101 or |
|First-Year Composition or First-Year Composition for ESL||Prerequisites: Appropriate writing placement or a grade of C or better in ENG091 or ESL097. or Prerequisites: Appropriate writing placement, or a grade of C or better in ENG091 or ESL097.||FYC||3|
|Humanities & Fine Arts||Any approved General Education course in the Humanities & Fine Arts area.||HU||3|
|Natural Sciences||Any approved General Education course in the Natural Sciences area||NS||4|
|ENG102 or |
|First-Year Composition or First-Year Composition for ESL||Prerequisites: Grade of C or better in ENG101. or Prerequisites: Grade of C or better in ENG107.||FYC||3|
|Oral Communication||Any approved General Education course in the Oral Communication area||COM||3|
|MAT120 or |
|Intermediate Algebra or Intermediate Algebra or Intermediate Algebra||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in each of the following courses: (MAT055, MAT056, and MAT057), OR a grade of C or better in MAT09+, OR an appropriate district placement. or Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in each of the following courses: (MAT055, MAT056, and MAT057), OR a grade of C or better in MAT09+, OR an appropriate district placement. or Prerequisites: A grade of B or better in each of the following courses: (MAT055, MAT056, and MAT057), OR a grade of B or better in MAT09+, OR an appropriate district placement.||MA||3–5|
|ACC111||Accounting Principles I||RC||3|
|GBS110 or |
|Human Relations in Business and Industry or Business Organization and Management or Human Relations in Business||RC||3|
|GBS151||Introduction to Business||RC||3|
|GBS233||Business Communication||Prerequisites: ENG101 or ENG107 with grade of "C" or better, or permission of Department or Division.||RC||3|
|GBS205||Legal, Ethical, and Regulatory Issues in Business||RC||3|
|MKT271||Principles of Marketing||RC||3|
|ECN211 or |
|Macroeconomic Principles or Microeconomic Principles or Society and Business||SB||3|
Select from the following courses to meet the Restricted Elective requirements.
|ACC+++++||Any ACC prefixed course||Any ACC prefixed course except ACC prefixed Required Courses||RE||1–18|
|CIS117DM||Microsoft Access: Database Management||RE||3|
|CIS133DA||Internet/Web Development Level I||RE||3|
|GBS+++++||Any GBS prefixed course||Any GBS prefixed courses except GBS prefixed Required Courses||RE||1–18|
|IBS+++++||Any IBS prefixed course||Any IBS prefixed course except IBS prefixed Required Courses||RE||1–18|
|MGT+++++||Any MGT prefixed course||Any MGT prefixed course except MGT prefixed Required Courses||RE||1–18|
|MKT+++++||Any MKT prefixed course||Any MKT prefixed course except MKT prefixed Required Courses||RE||1–18|
|REA+++++||Any REA prefixed course||Any REA prefixed course except REA prefixed Required Courses||RE||1–18|
|SBS+++++||Any SBS prefixed course||Any SBS prefixed course except SBS prefixed Required Courses||RE||1–18|
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for each course listed in the Required Courses area.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Associate in Applied Science in General Business (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm3?id=125800).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.