Effective for Summer 2019 enrollment, students who meet the standards identified below may use the following measures for their primary placement tool in lieu of taking the ACCUPLACER placement exam:
High School Transcript: Student has completed at least two years of high school coursework within the last 10 years, verified by an unofficial high school transcript listing a 2.6 or higher, unweighted, cumulative GPA
GED: Placement based on individual subject area scores of 165 or higher. Scores are valid for 5 years
ACT: Placement based on individual subject area scores of 18 or higher. Scores are valid for 5 years.
Students may take the ACCUPLACER for additional placement options.
- Submit unofficial high school transcripts online at https://my.maricopa.edu/services/placement, you can also mail or bring them to the Testing Center
- Mail or bring GED or ACT scores to the Testing Center
- For other purposes such as Financial Aid, etc. students may also need to have an official transcript sent by their high school to the SCC Admissions & Records Office
- Students under the age of 18 must meet AZ State admissions requirements AND course placement requirements
(Effective for Summer 2019 enrollment)
Walk-in testing, no appointment required – Test START times:
- Monday – Thursday: 8am – 3:30pm
- Friday: 10am – 2:30pm (closed Friday in Summer)
Please bring your 8-digit SCC student ID number.
- New college students who do not meet the high school GPA, GED, or ACT requirements listed above will complete placement testing in all three subject-areas: English, Reading, and Math, in one test session. Allow 2 to 2 ½ hours for completion.
- Single Test Sessions: For students who wish to attempt placement higher than allowed by their high school GPA, GED, or ACT scores or original placement test, and continuing or transfer students. Allow one hour per subject area for completion.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) CELSA Exam: Allow one hour for completion For sample tests, study guides and other information, please see the box on the upper left of the page.
Accuplacer – computer based, adaptive placement exam
Accuplacer is a comprehensive computerized adaptive testing system designed for placement into the appropriate levels of English reading and math. It is not possible to "pass/fail" the placement tests, the scores are used for appropriate course placement only. The Accuplacer test series consists of three untimed tests: Writeplacer (English), reading and math. The Writeplacer is a written essay, it requires examinees to provide a writing sample in response to a specific prompt, the reading and math placement exams are both multiple choice exams. New students are required to complete placement testing in all three subject areas. Please allow 2.5 hours to complete the entire series. Individual sections of the test may be re-tested separately.
Preparation materials for the Accuplacer exam can be found at:
- Sample Tests & Study Guides
CELSA - Combined English Language Skills Assessment
CELSA is a paper and pencil test designed to place adult students of English as a Second Language (ESL) into the different language ability levels in ESL courses. There is no "pass/fail" associated with test scores; the scores are used for appropriate course placement only. CELSA is a 45 minute, multiple choice test and has a practice test that testing staff work through with the student, prior to giving the test. Directions for the CELSA must be given in English without the assistance of interpretation.