What does it mean to have “Holistic Wellbeing”?
Think about a wheel. In order for a wheel to spin smoothly, it needs to be balanced. If any part of a wheel is “flat”, it won’t be able to function at its full capacity. If the wheel is flat in several areas, it might stop functioning altogether. As humans, we have a lot in common with the wheel. There are many things that impact our overall wellbeing and actively working to keep ALL of these dimensions balanced is the idea behind holistic wellbeing.
The nine dimensions of wellbeing are listed below. Feeling balanced and being your best self in school, at work, in your relationships and in life, in general, requires paying attention to each of them:
Your Wellbeing and the Holiday Season
The holiday season can be a stressful time for many reasons! Even if you love the holidays, they can cause a wide variety of emotions, and can lead to feeling overwhelmed at times. And for some people, the holidays are particularly challenging because of other things they are dealing with in their life.
Each dimension of Wellbeing is impacted by the holidays, and it can be a time of year you feel most “out of balance”. Below, you can find tips, links, and resources for enhancing (rather than depleting) each wellbeing dimension!
What are some ways I can address each dimension of Wellbeing over the Holidays?
Academic: Make sure you are ready for classes in the Spring semester!
- Paying for College
- Commit to using resources such as the Learning and Tutoring Centers in the new semester!
Career: Are you starting to think about your New Year’s Resolutions? Here are some great career-related resolutions that you can stick to.
Emotional: Don’t forget to prioritize self-care over the holidays! After all, you can’t pour from an empty cup...
Environmental: Looking for a unique gift for someone or looking at make a charitable donation before the end of the year? Consider contributing to a reputable environmental organization!
Financial: This is a BIG one, isn’t it? Here are some tips for a debt-free holiday.
Physical: The holidays can be a delicious time of year, and it can be a lot of fun to indulge a bit. But, as they say: everything in moderation. Here are some tips for monitoring your eating habits during the holidays.
Social: Performing Random Acts of Kindness is a powerful and positive way to enhance your wellbeing all year long. Here is a list of holiday-themed Random Acts of Kindness.
Spiritual: Focus on your spiritual strengths over the holidays.
How can we help at SCC?
- When school is in session, Counselors at SCC are available to talk to students about all of these wellbeing strategies and more!
- If you are not a current student, we can help connect you to professionals in the community.
- SCC Counseling – SC 108 – (480 )423-6524 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are struggling and need to talk to someone when school is not in session
- In a crisis, you can call (480) 784-1500 or (602) 222-9444 or you can text HOME to 741741
- If it is not a crisis, but you would like to speak with someone who understands, you can call the AZ Warm Line at 602-347-1100. Warm Line specialists offer peer support for callers who just need someone to talk to. The Warm Line is available 24/7/365.
If the holidays are difficult for you, you are not alone!
Below are some resources that you might find helpful: