Join Artie’s team!
Scottsdale Community College’s lovable mascot, Artie the Artichoke, always ranks high in fan appeal and enthusiasm. Artie helps create excitement for and promotes the College as well as SCC Athletics at a variety of events on campus and in the community.
We’re looking for students to be the next Artie the Artichoke! Do you want to show your school spirit and earn extra cash? Tryouts are held at the beginning of the school year. Please see below for requirements and the application process.
What You Need to Know
Performs as Artie the Artichoke mascot for Scottsdale Community College. This job will perform at selected home athletic games, on-campus events and outside community appearances throughout the year. During appearances, Artie the Artichoke will interact with the crowd and take pictures to create a positive, fun experience. The person who performs must accept the responsibility that they are a representative of Scottsdale Community College, and in doing so also commits to perform in accordance with the standards and expectations of the organization.
- You must be a current SCC student.
- Able to withstand the demands of performing in a costume in all weather elements.
- Must possess the ability to interact with people of all ages.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including days, evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Animation skills as a Mascot in non-speaking character.
- Prior mascot experience preferred, but not required.
- You will receive a nominal stipend per event.
Application process (forms are available on the right under “Download Information):
- Complete the application form and get one reference from an advisor, instructor, or supervisor.
- Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or on campus at the Center for Civic & Global Engagement (SC-185, in the cafeteria)
- Ask your reference to send their reference form to email@example.com.
- After we receive your application and reference form, we will contact you to participate in tryouts.
- Application deadline: Friday, Sept. 17
- Tryouts invitations sent: Thursday, Sept. 23
- Tryouts: Monday, Sept. 27- Friday, Oct. 1
- Students notified of decision: Wednesday, Oct. 6
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
YES! A big part of being a mascot is learning how to handle the heat. Much like a firefighter must get used to wearing heavy equipment in a hot environment, a mascot performer must build up an endurance to being in a suit. This isn’t just a skill; heatstroke is serious. You will be provided with ice vests in the costume, as well as a lot of water for the duration of the event. Learn the warning signs of heat illness before you get in the costume.
Requests for Artie’s appearance vary every year, but you should expect to attend up to 6 events per semester. You will be notified at least 2 weeks before the event. If you cannot make it, we ask that you let us know as soon as possible to give us ample time to find a replacement.
Students will be paid $15/hr at a 2 hour minimum.
Absolutely! Before you begin your Artie adventures we will train you on walking through doorways, interacting with people, etc. We will make sure you have the necessary tools to be a successful Artie.
Born during a period of student unrest in the early 1970s, Artie the Artichoke was adopted as the school’s mascot to express a difference of opinion concerning budget priorities. Originally intended to be a source of embarrassment, Artie has been embraced by students, athletes, staff, and the community as a beloved character.