SOAR is an intensive initial advising appointment for all students who are new to college and are seeking a degree or certificate, or taking general studies classes.
Please Note: All recent high school graduates must complete a SOAR appointment, even if you took college classes while in high school.
During your SOAR appointment you will:
- Meet your advisor
- Review your initial course placement in reading, writing, and math
- Plan your first semester courses
- Learn about our resources and services
- Select and register for your first semester classes*, including Artie’s Welcome.
*Students must register for class prior to the first class meeting.
Required at least one day prior to your SOAR appointment:
- Complete admission to SCC: Submit your Admissions Application to Scottsdale Community College online or in person (visit the Admissions and Records Office in SS-136 when campus is open).
- Submit a color copy of a valid photo ID as part of your admissions application or online at How to Submit Your ID for Authentication
- If you will be under 18 years old at the time of your SOAR session, complete the Financial Responsibility and Consent Form. You and your parent/guardian must sign this form.
- Submit Reading, Writing, and Math course placement documents. Submit unofficial documents that your advisor can use to determine your initial reading, writing, and math course placement to SCC Testing Center. If you do not have or wish to use any of the possible documents, complete the EdReady online assessment.
- Check your online Student Center for any Holds. Click the blue links in the Holds area (if there are any), and follow the directions to resolve them. Contact the Welcome Center at (480) 423-6700 for assistance.
Have the following with you for your SOAR appointment:
- Student ID Number
- MEID and password (Contact the Welcome Center at (480) 423-6700 to set up password, if needed)
- A printed or electronic copy of any current documents or unofficial EdReady scores.
- A valid, government-issued Photo ID (i.e. Driver’s License, State ID, or Passport)
Schedule your SOAR appointment
If you have completed all the above requirements, you are ready to schedule your session. Click the blue box below, find the advisor who represents your intended Field of Interest, and schedule your appointment.