Taught by professionals to become a professional! SCC’s nationally-recognized Theatre Arts program inspires a new community of Theatre students through a combination of classroom study and production applications that emphasize the collaborative nature of Theatre Arts.
8107 Associate in Arts, Fine Arts - Theatre (AAFA-Theatre)
Other Program Codes
5462 Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Technical Theatre
What you can expect
SCC’s Theatre Arts program is recognized by national theatre educators and professionals for the outstanding achievements of its students and faculty.
The program combines classroom study with opportunities for public performances each semester, and summer professional training through the Scottsdale Conservatory Theatre.
The SCC Theatre Arts program prepares students to achieve their personal and professional goals in a number of ways. Students may:
- Prepare for professional careers in theatre and related entertainment fields
- Fulfill degree requirements for the Associate of Arts (A.A.) and Associate of Arts, Fine Arts (A.A.F.A.) degrees
- Pursue humanities and fine arts electives for general studies
- Explore personal creativity
- Cultivate critical skills as an audience member
The Theatre Arts program at SCC offers students a friendly atmosphere, close contact with faculty and staff, small classes with individual attention, immediate opportunities for production participation, and a student club!
What are you looking for?
The Theatre Arts program offers you an exciting hands-on theatrical experience that prepares you for the professional world or a transfer to a four-year university. Our courses are taught by industry professionals, to help you become a professional.
Theatre Degree Options
- The A.A.F.A. transfer degree combines the required lower-division courses for students transferring to an Arizona university with courses for a Theatre Arts major. You can focus on an emphasis in Acting, Design or Technical Theatre.
- Occupational Certificate in Technical Theatre – This is a hands’ on degree that focuses on career placement. It is an intense study in technical theatre, with virtually no general education requirements for completion. Upcoming certificate areas of study include: Audio, Lighting, Costuming, Hair and Makeup, Set Construction, Props, Stage Crew, Puppetry, and Cosplay.
Theatre offers you many options to learn, explore and create
You can study any of the diverse areas the theatre has to offer, including acting for the stage and screen, combat for the stage and screen, theatrical design, stage management, technical direction, set construction, lighting, sound, costume design and construction, makeup, and Cosplay; all in a safe space designed to allow you to explore your potential as an artist and professional.
To find out what we’re up to in real time, follow us using the following info:
- Artists Creating Theatre @Scottsdale Community College
- SSFTatSCC Facebook group
Artists Creating Theatre Club (A.C.T.)
Any student at Scottsdale Community College is welcome and encouraged to be a part of the ACT. The purpose of A.C.T. is to participate, promote, and support SCC Theatre Arts community. This includes providing support and feedback for work you are in the process of creating, developing and honing your improvisation and audition skills, and most important, serving as a way to network with your fellow theatre and film artists.
Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival
SCC is an active participant in the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF) which offers students additional opportunities for special recognition, awards, scholarships, and professional networking.