The Personal Training Specialist program is designed to help prepare students for employment in the fitness industry as a Personal Trainer. This curriculum provides students with a fundamental knowledge of human physiology and anatomy, introduction into career options in the field of Exercise Science, Kinesiology and Physical Education/Coaching, emergency response readiness, health appraisals and assessments; application of exercise fitness principles and strength and cardiorespiratory training techniques; a fundamental knowledge of nutrition, exercise physiology, and biomechanics; skills in exercise testing and fitness measures as well as writing exercise prescriptions and program designs for diverse populations.
5445 Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Personal Training Specialist
Students who earn the Personal Training Specialist Certificate will earn approximately ½ of an Associate degree in Exercise Science: Health, Fitness and Sports Performance.
To earn the AAS degree, students would need to complete General education requirements such as English, Math, Science, Humanities, and Social/Behavioral.
SCC’s Exercise Science, Personal Training, & Nutrition program provides students with multiple transfer options to Universities to earn a Bachelors Degree:
- BS in Exercise & Wellness from Arizona State University (ASU)
- BS in Kinesiology from ASU
- BS in Health Science from Northern Arizona University
- BS in Fitness Specialist from Grand Canyon University (GCU)
- BS in Sports Specialist from GCU
Our Exercise Science, Personal Training, & Nutrition program provides an excellent 2-year education at a very affordable price which makes SCC a great place to start your 4-year degree path.
View the AAS in Exercise Science: Health, Fitness and Sports Performance
Graduates of our program can find jobs in the field of fitness as one of the following:
- Personal Trainer
- Fitness Director
- Group Fitness Instructor
The fitness profession is expected to have faster than average job growth at approximately 10% per year. The median wage is $18.85 per hour and $39,210 annually.
Job prospects should be best for workers with professional certification or increased levels of formal education in health or fitness.
You can find more information regarding employment outlook at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm
Students who choose SCC’s Exercise Science, Personal Training, & Nutrition program will have many unique opportunities to develop their professional potential and leadership skills including:
- Fitness & Nutrition Club: Students develop their leadership potential while having a positive impact on the SCC campus & local Scottsdale community.
- Exercise Is Medicine (EIM): SCC is a Silver Level campus in the American College of Sports Medicine EIM program. We are going for Gold!
- Forever Fit Project: Student interns provide one-on-one personal training and assist with Group exercise training to benefit Scottsdale seniors.
- SCC Fitness Center: Student interns help to conduct fitness assessments, design exercise programs, and take clients through one-on-one training sessions.
The Personal Training Specialist Certificate requires classes that fulfill approximately ½ of the AAS degree in Exercise Science: Health, Fitness and Sports Performance. We have multiple University partners where the AAS degree is transferable.
Robert Martin III, MS, Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist
Exercise Science, Personal Training, & Nutrition Program Director
Phone: (480) 423-6205
Amy Goff, Division Chair
Phone: (480) 423-6685
Elizabeth Gush, Division Secretary
Phone: (480) 423-6606
Program Notes: Set up an advising meeting by emailing or calling Robert Martin at email@example.com or (480) 423-6205.