The Exercise Science, Personal Training, & Nutrition program at Scottsdale Community College is designed to prepare students for jobs in the fields of exercise science, fitness, and nutrition.
The Nutrition for Fitness & Wellness Certificate is designed for Personal Trainers who want to expand their knowledge of Nutrition as well as those individuals (non-PT) who want a basic Nutrition certificate.
Students can complement their Personal Training Specialist Certificate and AAS degree in Exercise Science with a Nutrition for Fitness & Wellness Certificate. This is a great combination of “stackable” certificates and degrees for those in the fields of exercise science and fitness.
SCC’s Exercise Science, Personal Training, & Nutrition program provides students learning experiences that create a solid foundation of nutrition knowledge applied to a variety of individuals. Our instructors all have a minimum of a Masters degrees in Nutrition as well as other Nutrition credentials.
5302 Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Nutrition for Fitness and Wellness
Students who earn the Nutrition for Fitness & Wellness Certificate are not eligible for University transfer.
Nutrition classes in the Nutrition for Fitness & Wellness Certificate can count towards an Associate of Applied Science in Diet Technology and also an Associate of Arts in Pre-Nutrition.
Please schedule an advising session with Exercise Science, Personal Training, & Nutrition Program Director Robert Martin to better understand your transfer options. He can be contacted at email@example.com (480) 423-6205.
Graduates of our program can find jobs in the field of fitness & nutrition as one of the following:
- Personal Trainer
- Health coach
- Life coach
The fitness profession is expected to have faster than average job growth at approximately 10% per year. The median wage is $18.85 per hour and $39,210 annually.
Job prospects should be best for workers with professional certification or increased levels of formal education in health or fitness.
You can find more information regarding Personal trainer employment outlook at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/fitness-trainers-and-instructors.htm
It is unknown what the job prospects of Health / Life coaches are as the government does not collect this data.
You can find more information regarding Health / Life coach employment outlook at https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2017/youre-a-what/life-coach.htm
Students who choose SCC’s Exercise Science, Personal Training, & Nutrition program will have many unique opportunities to develop their professional potential and leadership skills including:
- Fitness & Nutrition Club: Students develop their leadership potential while having a positive impact on the SCC campus & local Scottsdale community.
- SCC Food Pantry: Students involved with the SCC Food Pantry (Artie’s FIT Market) have the opportunity to help serve SCC students experiencing food insecurity.
- Project 241: Students involved with Project 241 focus on helping SCC students plan healthy meals while living on a college budget.
- Food Waste Initiative: Students involved with the Food Waste Initiative help to raise food waste awareness on campus and how it contributes to hunger.
- Community Garden:Students involved with the SCC Community Garden have the opportunity to cultivate plant food and manage the garden program.
- Forever Fit Project: Student interns provide supervised one-on-one nutrition consulting to Scottsdale seniors who are enrolled in the program.
Robert Martin III, MS, Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist
Exercise Science, Personal Training, & Nutrition Program Director
Set up an advising meeting by emailing or calling Robert Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org (480) 423-6205.