Scottsdale Community College offers the only 1-year Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification in the valley!
Applications for the next cohort are currently being accepted.
Spaces fill up quickly. Send your application in today to reserve your spot.
The STEP Post-Baccalaureate teacher certification program at Scottsdale Community College is designed for students that have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in any discipline and would like to become a certified teacher in grades K through 8.
The one-year, cohort designed STEP program is a highly field-based preparation program that allows students to learn to teach by working side-by-side with teachers and students in elementary and middle school classrooms.
The SCC STEP program is the only one-year model in the valley!
- Fulfills requirements for Elementary Teacher Certification (grades K-8) and the state Structured English Immersion requirement
- Twelve month intensive program that meets two days per week (Monday and Tuesday) to complete course work from 4:00 PM until 8:30 PM
- Teacher-in-training program with 14 hours per week in classrooms alongside master teachers
- Courses taught by experienced classroom teachers and college professors.
- Integration of college coursework and classroom experience
- Cohort group of students participate in all coursework and field experiences together
- High marketability of graduates after interning for one year in classrooms
- Reduced cost with community college tuition
- Program approved by the Arizona State Board of Education
The STEP post-baccalaureate teacher certification program is a field-based immersion program where student interns learn through direct experiences in classrooms with children. The students begin their interning experience on the first day of school working and learning from a mentor teacher. Students experience the entire school year from setting up a classroom, planning, teaching, assessing, communicating with parents and finessing professional responsibilities.
The program begins with a Summer Institute where students are taught foundations for teaching and learning. For the 2018-2019 Cohort, the summer institute is from May 14 through July 31. Classes meet Monday and Tuesday evenings from 4:00 - 8:30 PM. Four courses are offered, each in a blended format, which is a combination of traditional face-to-face instruction and on-line learning.
Fall Semester: August 1 through December 16. Courses are offered in a blended format which includes traditional face-to-face instruction and on-line learning. Classes meet on Mondays and Tuesdays from 4:00 PM until 8:30 PM. Students begin the first internship spending 2 days a week working side-by-side with teachers in the classroom completing their internships. Each student participates in two nine-week blocks with each block at a different grade level. Three courses are taught in each block.
Spring Semester: January 8 through May 18. The same Monday/Tuesday schedule is followed with each student participating for nine weeks with a middle school team emphasizing the teaching of science. Student teaching is FULL TIME during the final twelve weeks of the program.
No courses are completed during Student Teaching.
By the end of the STEP program, the students will have had the opportunity to work with children at three grade levels, including middle school, and meet the requirements for Elementary Teacher Certification (K-8) and Structured English Immersion requirement.
Students are required to pass the state teacher Arizona Education Teacher Exams.