The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Dance Performance and Technology is designed for students who plan to enter the field of dance as performers, choreographers, teachers, and multimedia technicians or education professionals seeking a dance endorsement. The program provides classes in dance technique (Ballet, Modern, Jazz & Hip Hop), performance and production as well as training in multimedia production and the application of video and computer technology to dance. Students are offered the opportunity to demonstrate this knowledge by producing a short dance concert focusing on performance, choreography for stage and film, camera techniques, non-linear editing techniques, visual design, lighting design, and original sound design.
5979 Certificate of Completion in Dance Performance and Technology
Other Degree Options
Classes are offered in a variety of formats: in-person, hybrid, online, day, evening for full-time and part-time students.
How long will it take?
It takes a minimum of 2 years as a full-time student.
The estimated cost of the CCL program is $4,456 for Maricopa County residents.
Most dance program classes use low or no-cost textbooks.
- 3 Dance Technique courses
- DAH 190 - Dance Careers
- DAH 110 - Dance in Film
- DAN 170 - Dance Kinesiology
- Total credits: 10-12
- 3 Dance Technique Courses
- DAN 221 - Rhythmic Awareness
- DAN 210 - Dance Production
- DAN 272 - Dance Technology
- Total Credits: 12-14
- 3 Dance Technique Courses
- Dance Performance
- DAN 264 - Choreography 1
- MHL 191 - Electronic Music
- Total Credits: 10-12
- 3 Dance Technique Courses
- DAN 280 - Dance Practicum
- DAN 298AA - Special Projects (Internships or Service Learning)
- ART 100 - Introduction to Computer Graphic Art
- Total Credits: 7-9
Some courses are offered only one semester per year.
- Fall only
- DAN170 - Dance Kinesiology
- DAH110 - Dance in Film
- DAN264 - Choreography 1
- DAH190 - Dance Careers
- Spring Only
- DAN221 - Rhythmic Awareness
- DAN210 - Dance Production
- DAN272 - Dance Technology
- DAN298AA - Special Projects (Internships)
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Dance Performance and Technology is designed for students who plan to enter the field of dance as performers, choreographers, teachers and multimedia technicians. The program provides classes in dance theory, performance, production, multimedia and the application of video and computer technology to dance. Students are offered the opportunity to demonstrate this knowledge by producing a short dance performance focusing on dance and camera techniques, lighting design, sound design, choreography for camera and non-linear editing techniques. An Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree in Dance Performance and Technology is also available.
A grade of "C" or better is required for all courses within the program.
P/Z classes do not apply to the degree.
Students must enroll in three of the following styles of technique each semester: Ballet, Modern, Jazz and Hip Hop.
Students must attain a level 3 in the following styles of technique before they can graduate: Ballet, Modern, Jazz and Hip Hop.
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|THEORY COURSES: 26 Credits|
|ART100||Introduction to Computer Graphic Art||1|
|DAH110||Dance in Film||3|
|DAN210||Dance Production I||3|
|DAN221||Rhythmic Awareness I||3|
|DAN282AA||Service-Learning Experience in Dance (1) OR|
|DAN296WA||Cooperative Education (1) OR|
|DAN298AA||Special Projects (1)||1|
|MTC191||Electronic Music I||3|
|TECHNIQUE COURSES: 14-20 Credits|
|Students must enroll in three of the following four styles of technique courses each semester.|
|Students must attain a Level III in the following styles of technique before they can graduate.|
|DAN131||Ballet I (1)||1-2|
|DAN134||Ballet II (1)||1-2|
|DAN231AA||Ballet III: Intensive (2)||2-4|
|DAN234AA||Ballet IV: Intensive (2)||2-4|
|DAN132||Modern Dance I (1)||1-2|
|DAN135||Modern Dance II (1)||1-2|
|DAN232AA||Modern Dance III: Intensive (2)||2-4|
|DAN235AA||Modern Dance IV: Intensive (2)||2-4|
|DAN133||Jazz Dance I (1)||1-2|
|DAN136||Jazz Dance II (1)||1-2|
|DAN233||Jazz Dance III (1)||1-2|
|DAN236||Jazz Dance IV (1)||1-2|
|DAN102AA||Hip Hop I (1)||1-2|
|DAN102AB||Hip Hop II (1)||1-2|
|DAN202AA||Hip Hop III (1)||1-2|
|DAN202AB||Hip Hop IV (1)||1-2|
|PERFORMANCE COURSES: 1-2 Credits|
|Admittance into performance classes is by audition only.|
|DAN150||Dance Performance I (1) OR|
|DAN155||Dance Performance II (1) OR|
|DAN250||Dance Performance III (1) OR|
|DAN255||Dance Performance IV (1)||1-2|
- Conceptualize, visualize and produce art using the computer. (ART100)
- Describe and apply a methodology used in the critical analysis and evaluation of dance in film and video. (DAH110)
- Identify and analyze the nature of available careers in dance. (DAH190)
- Develop a plan for self-promotion by creating a portfolio that includes an online presence, a curriculum vitae (CV), a resume and a bio. (DAH190, DAN280)
- Demonstrate movement quality and performance skills at the beginning and intermediate levels of ballet, modern, jazz and hip hop. (DAN131, DAN134, DAN231AA, DAN234AA, DAN132, DAN135, DAN232AA, DAN235AA, DAN133, DAN136, DAN233, DAN236, DAN102AA, DAN102AB, DAN202AA, DAN202AB, DAN150, DAN155, DAN250, DAN255)
- Use the elements of light and sound as they relate to dance. (DAN210).
- Illustrate an understanding of using awareness to explore rhythm in dance performance, choreography and pedagogy. (DAN221)
- Demonstrate choreographic theories and techniques in the construction of solo and group studies and complete dances. (DAN264)
- Explain the role of various forms of technology as they relate to dance careers and use the computer to create, plan for, and distribute dance film projects. (DAN272)
- Integrate choreography, rhythm, dance technology, performance and production elements in a professional-level dance event. (DAN280)
- Conceptualize and produce digital music scores using various Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) compatible instruments. (MTC191).
- Analyze the biomechanics of the body and how it relates to dance, alignment and injury prevention. (DAN170)
- Apply skills learned in a real-world work experience such as Internships or other dance-related employment. (DAN282AA, DAN296WA, DAN298AA)
- Analyze the process of learning and personal motivation in an effort to attain educational goals. (DAH110, DAN221, DAN264, DAN280, DAN210)