Biology is the study of life, from bacteria to whales to redwood trees. The Biology Program at SCC covers a wide range of subjects, from basic concepts of biology (great classes for students of any major) to specialized topics such as the study of plants (botany), environmental biology, marine biology, anatomy and physiology, and microbiology.
The Associate in Science (AS) degree is designed for students who are interested in the field of biology and prepares them for transfer to a four-year program. If students follow the correct transfer path, they enter transfer partner universities as junior. Students may choose to pursue an AS in Biology with a Pre-Physician Assistant Emphasis for careers as biological technicians or physician assistants or a Pre-Medical Profession Emphasis for careers as physicians, biological scientists, dentists, optometrists, pharmacists, podiatrists, and veterinarians. Many of SCC’s biology courses are required for Nursing careers.
An exciting program at SCC, in partnership with Northern Arizona State University (NAU), is the Bachelor of Science in Biology. Students complete all four years at SCC, the first two years as SCC students and the last two years as NAU students, and are awarded both a B.S. in Biology from NAU and an A.S. from SCC. The B.S. in Biology prepares students for careers and advanced study in wildlife management, conservation, zoology, veterinary science, agriculture, forestry, biological technology, or a variety of medical professions.
8600 Associate in Science (AS)
- Biology, Pre-Physician Assistant Emphasis
- Biology, Pre-Medical Profession Emphasis
- B.S. in Biology via Northern Arizona University
- Arizona State University Transfer Pathways
- Biological Sciences Bachelor of Science
- Biological Sciences (Biomedical Sciences) Bachelor of Science
- Biological Sciences (Health Solutions Medical Studies) Bachelor of Science
- Secondary Education (Biology) BAE
- Northern Arizona University
- Biology Bachelor of Science (Offered in-person on the SCC Campus!)
- Biomedical Science Bachelor of Science
- University of Arizona
- Biology: Bioinformatics Emphasis Bachelor of Science
- Biology: Biomedical Sciences Emphasis Bachelor of Science
- Biology: Organismal Biology Emphasis Bachelor of Science
- Biology: Physiology Bachelor of Science
- Grand Canyon University
- Biology: Pre-Physician Assistant Bachelor of Science
- Biology: Pre-Medicine Bachelor of Science
- Biology: Pre-Pharmacy Bachelor of Science
While students may also choose to transfer to out-of-state programs, we do not have transfer partnerships with those programs. Connect with your transfer destination to determine which courses can be taken at SCC.
|Occupation / Title||Annual Median Wage|
|Biological Scientists, All Other||$76,690|
|Clinical Trial Manager||$118,970|
|Environmental Protection Specialist||$69,400|
Salary information comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics Program. Updated May 2017.
- Center for Native and Urban Wildlife (CNUW)
- Life Sciences Undergraduate Research Program (LSURP)
Biology majors will have the opportunity to be invited to participate in LSURP. This program provides undergraduate students with an unrivaled opportunity to participate in research at the undergraduate level—an experience that is unique to SCC. Students participate in real research projects and receive mentoring from graduate students and professional biological researchers. This program is one of the highlights of the SCC Biology Program!