The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Music Business II is designed to provide aspiring music industry professionals with a broad background in music management, production, and entrepreneurship activities. The program combines theoretical and applied learning experiences to help students gain a strategic understanding of commercial music as both an art and profession. An Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Music Industries: Music Business is available.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Analyze the values, ethics, and key factors, including economic, legal, policy, audience, and consumer, that influence the creation of music related media products.
- Utilize applications and tools to manage business and creative activities in the music industry.
- Create a project plan applying project management skills.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in building relationships and networking with clients, colleagues, and organizations.
- Identify opportunities for expanding creative, innovative, and entrepreneurial skills in the music industry.
- Analyze and synthesize musical content for social, cultural, aesthetic and historical significance.
- Evaluate branding, marketing communications, and sales skills to build a music brand.
- Investigate intellectual property law, rights management, publishing, licensing, and contracts.
- Differentiate operating structures and business types.
- Analyze metrics and revenue data to improve business processes.
- Use effective written, oral, and visual communication skills for diverse audiences and outcomes.
- Assess the music industry and its role in the gig economy.
Successful completion of this program may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Arizona-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information.
Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|MUC109||Music Business: Merchandising and the Law||RC||3|
|MUC110||Music Business: Recording and Mass Media||RC||3|
|MUC209 or |
|Music Industry Entrepreneurship or Owning and Operating a Small Business||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in (MUC109 and MUC110) or permission of Instructor. or No requisites||RC||3|
|MUC290AA or |
|Music Business Internship or Cooperative Education||Prerequisites: Permission of Department or Division. or Prerequisites: Completion of 12 college credits, min 2.6 gpa and obtain a position related to academic or career goals or permission of Instructor. Corequisites: At least 1 class related to major or career interest or with permission of the Instructor.||RC||1|
|MUC293||Self Promotion for Music||RC||1|
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Certificate of Completion in Music Business II (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=147817).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.