Skip to main content
Scottsdale Community College - Learn. Grow. Achieve
Fetching Content....


Summer Hours

Campus Closed on Fridays

Who do I contact at SCC in regards to using my VA benefits?

For information on using your Veterans Education Benefits at SCC contact the Veterans Office or visit us in the Student Center.

What documents are required to initially apply for educational benefits?

Students eligible Ch. 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill®) or Ch. 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®), we require a copy of the student’s DD-214 (member 4 copy only). Individuals eligible for Ch. 1606 (Reserve/Guard G.I. Bill®) may need to supply a Notice of Basic Eligibility (DD-2384 form).

Once I have applied for benefits, what do I have to do each semester to get paid?

After signing up for classes the Veterans Services Office needs to be informed. Each semester a pay request form must be completed and turned in with a copy of your class schedule. In addition Ch. 33 students must submit a copy of their current semester invoice. Students receiving Ch. 30 benefits must call 1 (877) 823-2378 or visit at the end of each month to verify their enrollment in order to receive payment.

When should I expect to start receiving benefits?

Once the VA has processed your paperwork you will start to receive benefits on a monthly basis. The VA requires approximately 30 days for processing paperwork.

What if my tuition will not be paid on time?

Students that are receiving educational benefits are eligible to receive a tuition deferment. This deferment is NOT automatic and must be requested by the student at the Veterans Services Office.

What are my options if I cannot afford school supplies or books?

Veterans are eligible to receive a book loan that can be used at the SCC Bookstore. The book loan can be used to purchase books and supplies. Please keep in mind this loan must be repaid prior to the end of the semester.

Will the VA pay for a tutor?

Eligible students are entitled to receive a $100 each month for tutoring. Students are only entitled to receive a maximum of $1200 total for tutoring assistance. Before payment can be made the appropriate forms must be completed. These forms are available in the Veterans Services Office.

If you do not want to pay for a tutor, SCC offers free tutoring services for students currently enrolled in courses. For more information contact the department you are seeking tutoring in.

What if my enrollment status changes during the semester?

If a student drops or adds a class mid-semester they are responsible for notifying the Veterans Services Office. Each chapter has enrollment requirements; students dropping classes may lose benefits for the semester and may be required to pay back any payments received for the term. There are certain situations where the VA may waive any debt incurred as a result of dropping a class. For students using Ch. 33 the Veterans Services Office needs to be notified of the change in order for the added tuition to be paid for by the VA.

What can I do if the VA is not acknowledging my Kicker of College Fund?

Bring all documents showing that you are eligible to receive the Kicker or College Fund to the Veterans Services Office and we will assist in submitting the appropriate documentation to the VA.

What steps do I need to take if I am enrolled in multiple schools?

If SCC is your parent school you must request a 315 Course Approval letter to be sent to the other school. If SCC is not the parent school you must have your parent school sends a 315 Course Approval letter to SCC’s Veterans Services Office. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the supplemental school’s veteran’s office regarding tuition deferment and certification for that institution.