In order to drive a utility cart on any MCCCD property, you must complete the Utility Cart Training Program and take a short quiz. The training program and quiz may be accessed on Canvas. You may also download and print a copy of the proceedures and guidlines by clicking on the links below.
You must complete all steps & have a valid AZ driver license to qualify. You may view the video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iMR_EXy0w0.
The guidelines recognize the importance of appropriate safety devices in an effort to reduce the risk of injury, death, and loss of or damage to property. Therefore, when appropriate, carts must have the following accessories in functioning order:
- Side and rear view mirrors
- Electric Wipers, if applicable to cart
- Tail Lamps
- Backup signal if originally equipped
- Stop Lamps/Brake Lights
Future purchases of carts must be four-wheeled vehicles -
no three-wheeled vehicles.
Utility Cart Operating Procedures
College specific procedures must include, but are not limited to, the following items:
- Operating rules to include equipment safety checks; security of cart ignition keys; driving safety/speed of carts; appropriate use of carts; and cart identification.
- Determination of acceptable driving areas.
- Determination of hours of operation.
- Maintenance and repair guidelines.
Operator & Supervisor Accountability
Supervisors shall ensure that all operators review the owner’s manual for the specific utility cart. If a manual is not available from the manufacturer, the college will provide one. In addition, all operators shall read a copy of these guidelines, the attached related procedures, and any amendments to them. For OSHA compliance record keeping, verification that all utility cart operators have received the above information must be kept in a central file.