Skip to main content
Scottsdale Community College - Learn. Grow. Achieve
Fetching Content....

Health Insurance

All F-1 international students are required to take the college health insurance policy. The plan currently in use is offered by The Renaissance Agencies, Inc., based in Santa Monica, CA. At this time, the fee for the current semester is $565. The effective term of coverage for the Fall semester is estimated to begin August 11, 2012. We highly recommend that you purchase additional insurance for coverage prior to August 11, 2012, if you will be entering the US prior to that date. Please notify the International Education Programs (IEP) office if you need to purchase this coverage. You can also contact the insurance company, Renaissance Agencies Inc., directly at 1(800) 537-1777.

Insurance Company:
Ascension Benefits & Insurance Solutions
PO Box 2300
Santa Monica, CA 90407-2300
Telephone (800) 537-1777 (Toll Free)
For information about medical benefits and exclusions, you can download a current copy of the International Student Health Insurance Plan

Personal Insurance Administrators, Inc. [PIA]
PO Box 6040
Agoura Hills, CA 91376-6040
Telephone 1(800) 314-3938 (Toll Free)

To locate in-network physicans and facilities, use the Preferred Provider (PPO) website, or call 1 (800) 226-5116.

Why do I need health insurance?

Medical costs can be overwhelming and are rising continuously. Without health insurance, a student can go into debt with excessive medical bills that may hinder his or her academic career. The College requires its international students to carry medical insurance coverage. It is a requirement of this College that International Students be insured under the Maricopa Community Colleges endorsed health insurance plan. Any questions about this requirement should be directed to the responsible person at each college.

How do I enroll?

All registered international students are automatically enrolled in the International Student Health Insurance Plan.

All dependents may enroll by submitting the enrollment form attached to this brochure with proper payment. Dependents must enroll for the same period of coverage as the insured student. Please see page 1 of this brochure for dependent eligibility requirements.

For further questions regarding when your coverage begins or ends, if you and/or your dependents are eligible for coverage and how to enroll, contact Renaissance Insurance Agency, Inc. at 1 (800) 537-1777.

If you need a receipt for payment or proof of coverage, contact Renaissance Insurance Agency, Inc. at 1 (800) 537-1777.

Where do I get an ID card?

Detach the ID card on the back cover. You may use this card to obtain treatment after you have enrolled in the plan.

This ID card may also be used for your covered dependents.

For replacement cards, visit:

What is covered under the plan?

Please refer to the brochure for a list of benefits or contact Personal Insurance Administrators, Inc. at 1 (800) 314-3938.

What do I do if I get sick or injured?

In the case of an Emergency, call 911.
Students and insured dependents should obtain treatment from the nearest Doctor or hospital. You may choose any Doctor or hospital, but you will pay a lower coinsurance, and the deductible will be waived, when using the Doctors and hospitals available through the First Health Network (PPO). For a complete listing of the PPO Hospital and Doctor facilities, visit or call 1 (800) 226-5116.

You should only obtain treatment from an emergency room in case of an Emergency. For non-Emergencies your out-of-pocket expenses may be decreased by obtaining treatment at an urgent care facility instead of a hospital emergency room.

If you go to a Doctor’s office or to the hospital, be sure to show your insurance identification card. Dependents covered under the plan do not receive separate ID cards and may use the insured student’s ID card to obtain treatment. If the Doctor or hospital needs to verify coverage for you or your dependents, have them call Personal Insurance Administrators, Inc. at 1 (800) 314-3938.

How do I submit my medical bills for payment?
  1. After you receive treatment, complete an insurance claim form. You may download a claim form from
  2. If you have any other expenses such as medicines, x-rays or laboratory charges, be sure to attach these bills to the claim form.
    Please note you will need pay for prescriptions at the time of pickup. You may then submit a claim for reimbursement for the portion the Company is responsible for paying.
  3. Send your claim form and all other bills to:
    Personal Insurance Administrators, Inc.
    P.O. Box 6040
    Agoura Hills, CA 91376-6040
  4. If you have questions about the status of your claim after it has been submitted, please call Personal Insurance Administrators, Inc. at 1 (800) 314-3938.
    A claim must be submitted within 90 days after an Injury or Sickness has occurred in order for the claim to be paid.
    Be sure to keep a copy of all documents submitted for claims.
    Keep your insurance ID card with you at all times.

Underwritten by:
Nationwide Life Insurance Company
Policy Number: 302-093-0207

For questions regarding eligibility, benefits or claims:
Personal Insurance Administrators, Inc.
P.O. Box 6040
Agoura Hills, CA 91376-6040
Toll Free: 1 (800) 314-3938

To download claim forms, ID cards, translated brochures, or an appeals packet, visit: