- What are the placement tests?
Accuplacer is an untimed computer-based, multiple-choice placement test designed to identify your skill levels in reading and math, Writeplacer is an untimed computer-based essay designed to identify you skill level in English language usage. CELSA is a 45 minute multiple-choice test designed to measure context and grammatical understanding of the English language for students speaking English as a second language.
Scores are used by you and an advisor or counselor to help you decide which courses to take. All students taking their first college level English, reading, or mathematics course must complete placement testing before they can register.
- Why is testing required?
- We want you to be as successful as possible. Research shows that placement testing helps you to enter English, reading, or mathematics courses at the proper starting point. The result is that you will have a better chance of completing your courses and earning good grades.
- Can I fail the placement tests?
- No! Whatever scores you earn, in English, reading or mathematics course will be available to you.
- Can I retest?
- Yes! Placement test scores are good for two years for course placement at any MCCCD college. Students are permitted two retest per discipline per two year cycle based on the date of your initial placement test. Students must wait 1 business day from their initial test date for their first retest, and 90 days from their initial test date for the second/final retest.