Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the placement tests?
- ALEKS is an untimed, computer-based, fill in the blank placement test designed to identify your skill levels in mathematics. COMPASS is an untimed computer-based, multiple-choice placement test designed to identify your skill levels in English language usage and reading. CELSA is a 45 minute multiple-choice test designed to measure context and grammatical understanding of the English language for students speaking English as a second language. Scores are used by you and an advisor or counselor to help you decide which courses to take. All students taking their first college level English, reading, or mathematics course must complete placement testing before they can register.
- Why is testing required?
- We want you to be as successful as possible. Research shows that placement testing helps you to enter English, reading, or mathematics courses at the proper starting point. The result is that you will have a better chance of completing your courses and earning good grades.
- Can I fail the placement tests?
- No! Whatever scores you earn, in English, reading or mathematics course will be available to you.
- Can I retest?
- Yes! Math test scores are good for one year for course placement at any MCCD college. English and reading test scores are valid for two years for course placement. You are permitted one retest per discipline per year.