Skip to main content
Scottsdale Community College - Learn. Grow. Achieve
Fetching Content....

Financial Aid FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions
Financial aid includes any form of financial assistance that helps you pay for college. This includes scholarships, grants, work-study, and student loans.
Gift aid, such as scholarships and grants, does not have to be repaid, while loans have to be repaid with interest, whether or not you graduate.
Scholarships are available through various sources, and can be merit-based or need-based. You can find out about scholarships at Scottsdale Community College's website.
Work study programs allow you to work part time at Scottsdale Community College or in the community. Work study may be part of your financial aid award.
The first step is to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is a form that you must complete in order to apply for federal financial aid programs. To ensure you receive all the aid for which you are eligible, you should submit your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1st each year.
Based on the information provided on your FAFSA, the federal government will determine your family’s expected family contribution (EFC). The difference between the cost of attendance budget and your EFC is your financial need. Most financial aid will be based on your financial need; however, some forms of gift aid, such as merit-based scholarships, and unsubsidized federal loans are not dependent on financial need.
Your expected family contribution (EFC) is determined using a formula developed by the Department of Education and designed to assess what a family can afford. Factors include the number of family dependents, number of children in college, income, and a percentage of total assets (not including home equity).
After filing your FAFSA, you and all of the schools you listed on your FAFSA will receive a copy of your SAR. This document lists all of the information you provided and gives you a chance to review that information for accuracy. If you have any changes to your SAR, send corrections to the address listed on the report, or submit corrections on line.
Your financial aid award is prepared by the financial aid office and lists all the types and amounts of financial aid for which you are eligible. It may include grants, scholarships, work study, and loans. You need to carefully review your award letter.
A Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan is a need-based loan for undergraduate and graduate students. Interest is subsidized by the government—the federal government pays the interest for you while you are in school at least halftime and for a six-month grace period after you leave school. An Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan is not need-based and the federal government does not subsidize the interest. Therefore, you will be responsible for paying the interest on the loan from the day it is first disbursed. However, you can choose to defer interest payments until you leave school.
Yes. Parents can get PLUS Loans to cover up to the full cost of education less any other financial aid received. Parents can apply online on Scottsdale Community Colleges Website, click on "Student Loans" on the menu bar.
The MPN is a legally binding document that sets the terms of your student loans. By signing the MPN, you are promising to repay your student loan, regardless of whether you graduate or are satisfied with your education.
No, the MPN is simply the promissory note. Rather than completing a separate application, you begin the loan process each year by answering "yes" to the question on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) that asks if you are interested in student loans.
It is your responsibility to inform Scottsdale Community College if you will not attend to avoid multiple loan disbursements and unnecessary paperwork.
Students who are citizens or permanent legal residents and attending an approved school at least half time are eligible for federal student loans. Male borrowers must satisfy Selective Service requirements.
Each year, the financial aid office will let you know the loan amount for which you are eligible and give you the opportunity to accept, reduce, or decline that amount.
Generally, loans funds are sent in two disbursements—one at the beginning of the loan period and another at the midpoint. Review your award letter for additional information regarding your award.
You do not have to begin repaying your loans until six months after you graduate, withdraw, or drop below half time. Remember, Unsubsidized Loans accrue interest while you are in school. Although you can choose to defer paying interest until after your grace period, your total loan costs will be higher because accrued interest will be added to your principal balance (capitalized) when you enter repayment.