First Steps for New Students
- If you are new to SCC please review the Getting Started web page.
SOAR for new students
- SOAR (Scottsdale Orientation, Advisement and Registration) is required for all students who are new to college or are recent high school graduates and who are seeking a degree, transfer to a university or are undecided. You will select your classes and register at the SOAR session. See the SOAR web page for more details.
- Log into your Student Center at My.maricopa.edu to manage your student information. you can complete the admissions process, register, make a payment, view your class schedules and grades, track financial aid applications and much more.
- You will need to complete placement tests to register for your first English, reading or math course, to begin a degree or university transfer plan or to satisfy course prerequisites. Before testing take advantage of the test review material available online.
For more information visit the Testing Center web site.
Required Courses for Student Success
- Your success is very important to us. To promote success in college we require certain courses based on how you place in English, Reading and Math. If you place into one or more courses that are below 100 level you must take a student success course as part of your first semester schedule. Most students take CPD150 Strategies for College Success but other courses may be offered as well. You will learn about your options when you attend SOAR. If you place into a reading course RDG071, RDG081, or RDG091 you must take the reading course in your first semester.
Transcripts, official and unofficial
- Transcripts are required if you have attended another college. Unofficial transcripts can be used to show you have a prerequisite completed. Official transcripts must be received and evaluated by the Admissions and Records Office to apply transfer credit to a degree or a certificate program. You turn in the Transcript Evaluation Request form to the Admissions Office after your transcript is on file at SCC to have credits count towards graduation. Official transcripts must be sent directly from your previous school to SCC in order to be evaluated by the Admissions and Records Office. Hand-carried transcripts will not be accepted, even if they are still sealed.