Are you undecided about your major or career?
You are not alone, the majority of community college students are undecided when they begin college, and about half of the students who have a major will change it before they graduate. Picking a major is a process that happens over time. By doing research early you will be better prepared to plan your education so you are truly prepared for the areas that interest you.
At SCC there is help to ease the anxiety and to assist you in making an informed choice. Undecided students should use the services of both Career Services and Counseling Services to do career research early in their academic career.
Even if you are not totally decided on a major it is important to compare majors so that you know what courses they have in common. Do all the majors you are looking at need the same math course? Well then, that would be a safe bet. Does one need a specific humanities course but the others don't? It's better to know early than get surprised after spending 16 weeks in a class!
Have a team of counselors and advisors work with you one-on-one to discover your major and career path. We can help you to:
- Take the classes you need and graduate sooner.
- Get admitted to the major of your choice.
- Find the right career path and get started on it.
- Get started on an impressive resume while in college.
- Make the best choices for your future.
- Have college make a real difference in your life!
To start your journey, check out the Maricopa Career Planning System. It is a comprehensive online system that helps college students and other adults plan for a career. With this free system, you can complete career assessments, research occupations, search educational programs and develop a resume and create a portfolio. This is a great place for students and career changers to start exploring options.
You can follow up and get additional assistance by calling Academic and Career Advisement - (480) 423-6539 or stopping by in SC118.
Working with Academic and Career Advisement and Counseling Services, we will prepare an individualized plan for you that will help you in:
- Self-Discovery - Find out what you are really looking for in a career and major.
- Investigation - Find careers and majors that fit your individual needs.
- Decision Making - Put it all together and do what is best for you.
- Prepare for Transfer or Work - Learn how to put your education to work for you.