Dance - Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Do I have to be a dance major in order to take classes?
- All of our dance classes are open to anyone who would like to take them (with proper experience for the higher level classes). If you would like to recieve a dance degree please be sure to set up an advisement meeting with Angela Rosenkrans, Director of the Dance Program.
- 2. Do I have to take level 1 classes if I already have dance experience?
- No. Level 1 classes are meant for beginning dance students. Most students with prior dance experience start in level 2 classes. However, a signature is needed to skip a level. Signatures should be requested from Angela Rosenkrans, Director of the Dance Program.
- 3. How do I get a signature for a class you want to enroll in?
- Signatures should be requested from Angela Rosenkrans, Director of the Dance Program, or the instructor for the course. Faculty emails can be found on the dance website.
- 4. Are there auditions for level placement in classes?
- No. You should talk to Angela Rosenkrans, Director of the Dance Program or the instructor of the course to choose the correct classes for yourself.
- 5. What do I need to have prepared for auditions?
- There are four auditions held for the dance department. Three auditions are for the resident performing companies and one is for scholorships. Visit our Auditions page for more information.
- 6. What do I wear to dance class? Do I have to wear tights?
- There is not a harsh dress code at SCC. Clothing should be comfortable to move in, be form fitting so that the instructors can see your alignment, and cover your body appropriately. Shoes: Ballet shoes are required for ballet classes. Jazz classes either require jazz shoes or bare feet. Modern classes are done in bare feet. Hip Hop classes require clean, non-marking, tennis shoes that are only worn in class. Social and World dance classes require different types depending on the instructor. Please contact your instructor directly. Instructor emails are available on our Faculty page.
- 7. Where can I get dance clothes and shoes?
- There are many dance clothing stores in the Phoenix area and many good deals can be found at online dance stores.
- Online stores:
- Local stores:
Dee’s Dance Wear
3050 N. Dobson Rd. Ste. 1
Chandler, AZ 85224
- Dee’s Dance Wear
4727 E. Bell Rd. Ste. 49
Phoenix, AZ 85032
- Dee’s Dance Wear
7942 W. Bell Rd.
Glendale, AZ 85308
2240 N. Scottsdale Rd. Scottsdale, AZ 85257
Fullout Dance and Activewear
4422 E. Camelback Rd. Ste. A2A
Phoenix, AZ 85018
- 8. How much are the classes?
- SCC in-state tuition is $84 per credit hour and most of the dance classes are 1 credit courses. For more information visit our Admissions Department.
- 9. Is there a payment plan?
- Yes. SCC does offer a payment plan for tuition. For more information click here.
- 10. Who do I talk to about financial aid?
- For more information, visit the SCC Financial Aid webpage.
- 11. What kind of career can I get with a dance degree?
- There are a variety of career opportunities for dance majors including performance, education, choreography, lighting design, and stage managing. Some of the lesser known careers in dance are grant writing, videography, dance administration, dance criticism/journalism, photography, dance therapy, physiology, and dance historian. SCC provides training opportunities for the serious dance student in many of these fields. However, since most fields in dance are highly competitive, it is important for the student to have the commitment and determination to succeed.
- 12. Where are the classrooms/dance office?
- The dance rooms are located in the PE Building. SCC Campus Map PE Building Map.
- 13. Who do I contact for IT/computer help?
- Help Desk Hours: (480) 423.6274
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am – 8:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm