SCC is a learner-centered college, recognized for high quality, accessible educational opportunities, and for innovation in our teaching, learning and support services.
Theme: Learning Opportunities and Learner Support.
Objective 1.1 Offer the right mix of lifelong learning opportunities and provide a large range of courses and programs in areas that are in demand locally and nationally.
- Offer General Education Courses.
- Increase number of Degree, AA, AGEC options.
- Expand number of Occupational Programs, certificates, AAS degrees to include high-demand fields.
- Offer a strategic mix of Continuing Education, Career Development, adult fast-track.
- Expand innovative approaches to Developmental Education.
- Infuse curriculum with a global perspective.
- Infuse existing courses with topics pertaining to sustainability.
- Develop student competencies for the 21st century, including critical, collaborative, integrated thinking, as well as workplace literacy, conflict resolution and employability skills.
Objective 1.2 Provide classes in a variety of formats to offer students flexible and convenient learning opportunities.
- Offer Online and Hybrid sections.
- Create entirely Online degrees.
- Expand Accelerated Classes and Fast Track offerings.
- Increase Dual and Concurrent Enrollment.
- Utilize learning opportunities beyond traditional classroom settings, such as internships, service learning.
- Create module instruction in developmental education courses.
- Expand number of Learning Communities.
- Provide credit for prior learning.
Objective 1.3 Provide a broad array of learner support resources.
- Provide effective and accessible tutoring.
- Develop Library resources for the 21st century students.
- Develop open source materials to reduce student costs.
- Access to online content and learner support resources.
- Improve access to tutors in disciplines where we are under-resourced.
- Outstanding Developmental Education program and outcomes.
- Incorporate supplemental instruction where appropriate.
Objective 1.4 Maintain high academic standards and rigorous instruction.
- Establish third-party assessment of student outcomes.
- Create capstone courses.
- Implement Quality Matters certification for each online course.
- Elevate academic quality and rigor across the college.
- Develop venues for faculty to share innovative instructional approaches.
- Promote risk-taking, innovation, and creativity in the classroom.
- Engage SCC faculty and high school, middle school teachers for better prepared students.
- Provide faculty development for instructional innovation and excellence.
- Promote professional standards in instruction.
- Verify quality instruction that includes course rigor, high standards, state of the art technology, and a variety of delivery modes which offer a global perspective.
- Ensure state of the art instructional technology and support.
- Implement on-going support for full-time and adjunct faculty to assure a minimum skill set with technology.
- Improve faculty-student interaction via multiple active learning strategies.
- Promote greater integration and interdisciplinary structure; faculty work across disciplines.
- Provide opportunities to expose students to national and international scholars.
- Develop a comprehensive approach to adjunct faculty professional development and support.
Objective 1.5 Provide opportunities for students to engage with the college through various college activities.
- Deliver relevant educational and co-curricular programs to engage learners.
- Create learning pathways through integrated academic and service learning.
- Offer more clubs and extracurricular activities.
- Increase awareness and participation in student clubs and activities.
Objective 1.6 Provide an infrastructure that supports teaching and learning (facilities, equipment, and technology).
- Use technology to enable access to learning opportunities, course content, and learner support.
- Develop a technology standard available in all classrooms, labs, and auxiliary spaces where students learn.
- Theme: Comprehensive Support Services
Objective 1.7 Provide comprehensive student services, staffed with friendly, knowledgeable staff.
- Ensure service areas remain open when students need them.
- Cross-train staff for enhanced service during peak periods.
- Deliver services in-person or online.
- Establish an orientation to assessment testing for new students.
- Provide advisement using multiple modes of delivery.
- Develop online advisement.
- Identify and train Department advisors.
- Explore group advising for cohorts.
- Streamline online process for registration.
- Expand availability of Financial Aid.
- Increase scholarship opportunities.
- Reduce number of cancelled classes.
- Create a one-stop enrollment center.
- Implement a pre-enrollment orientation.
- Develop and implement a highly engaged New Student Orientation.
- Create ongoing orientation activities during a new student’s first semester.
- Increase seamless transfer opportunities for SCC students.
- Promote student retention and success through explicit student mentoring, advising and coaching.
- Expand mentoring for at-risk students to include peer mentoring.
Objective 1.8 Develop methods of communication with students which are dynamic and informative with up-to-date information.
- Develop a dynamic social media communication plan.
- Establish an efficient email communication process.
- Create process to communicate time sensitive information to students via text message.
SCC is a vital partner, collaborating with the diverse communities that we serve, anticipating, and responding to their needs, while serving as a leader in the dialogue and the actions needed for our future together.
Theme: Connect with the communities we serve.
Objective 2.1 Engage our Surrounding Communities to ensure we understand and respond to their needs.
- Affirm and strengthen our existing community relationships, identify ways to broaden our outreach, and foster diversity.
- Assess and increase community volunteerism, community service, and service learning opportunities for students and employees.
- Develop and initiate a plan to reach out to alumni, retirees, and “Friends of SCC Foundation”.
- Increase the number of cooperative partnering activities with Salt River Community Schools and Scottsdale Unified School District i.e. pre-college programs, Math/Science Field Day, SCC Open House, etc.
- Resolve obstacles associated with community use of college facilities.
- Strengthen our involvement with underrepresented populations, i.e. current and potential students.
- Develop and implement a plan to become a designated American Indian serving institution.
- Increase participation in summer courses for under-represented populations and Native American youth through AIP and Jr ACE.
- Expand SCC’s Paiute Neighborhood Center ‘Discover SCC’ program to the adult population and assess opportunities to deliver ‘Discover SCC’ programs to other agencies/high schools such as Salt River HS, Coronado HS, Sierra Vista HS, and Boys/Girls Clubs.
Objective 2.2 Engage Employers to ensure we understand and respond to their needs.
- Affirm and strengthen our existing employer partnerships and identify new ones to undertake.
- Leverage advisory committees to identify new courses and programs that serve students.
- Develop and market an internship program to assist students in their successful search for employment.
- Leverage advisory committees to expand internship opportunities.
- Develop and implement a plan to expand fast-track, hybrid learning opportunities for adults.
- Utilize Advisory Committees within program areas.
Objective 2.3 Develop and strengthen external partnerships related to Educational Pathways and Transitions.
- Develop and implement a strategic enrollment plan covering student recruitment and pathways to include:
- High School Students
- Dual/Concurrent Enrollment
- Traditional High School graduates
- University Students
- Adult Learners
- Diverse Communities
- Salt River Administration
- SUSD Administration
- Develop and execute strategies to facilitate the High School-to-Community College transition.
- Develop and execute strategies to facilitate the Community College-to-University transition (e.g. promote the new common course numbering catalog).
- Strengthen articulation agreements with NAU, ASU, and UA.
- Develop University partnerships with private universities– (i.e. NAU, MAPP with ASU, GCU, UOP).
- Leverage and increase 2+2 and 3+1 partnerships.
- Develop and implement a communication plan to promote the success of SCC students (i.e. traditional and transfer).
Objective 2.4 Increase Community Awareness of College offerings and services.
- Develop and implement an integrated comprehensive marketing plan.
SCC employees constitute a community of engaged learners, widely recognized for a pervasive culture of excellence and innovation.
Objective 3.1 Develop and maintain an engaged, highly qualified, mission-focused, and learning-centered workforce.
- Quantify the present levels of engagement through a benchmarked survey instrument. Analyze survey results and develop a strategy to improve results over a three-year period.
- Working cooperatively with District Human Resources, develop a distinctive and targeted strategy to attract, recruit, and retain high quality faculty and staff.
- Implement a College recognition program that celebrates individual, department, and college level achievement.
- Develop and encourage a climate of consistently professional, courteous interactions with students and one another through standards, training, and assessment.
- Establish benchmarked performance standards for all SCC employees to enhance and support personal and professional development. Such efforts should focus on the following key success attributes:
- Be Learning and Learner focused
- Develop and improve interpretive skills
- Promote critical thinking skills
- Increase technology skills
- Cross-train for continuity
- Establish orientation for new employees that promote awareness of organizational culture, resources, and requirements.
- Promote an SCC culture that celebrates employee integrity, ethics, and stewardship. Establish metrics to provide benchmarked measures of each attribute and develop a plan to promote improvement.
Objective 3.2 Promote a culture that celebrates innovation and embraces change.
- Promote opportunities for personal growth and professional improvement in a culture where innovation and change are routine and expected.
- Create, maintain, and celebrate cultures of innovation and change at all levels within the organization – the individual, departmental, and college-level.
- Celebrate innovations and their associated benefits, recognizing that innovation occurs along a continuum from incremental to monumental.
- Create a culture that is willing to challenge existing structures and practices to improve outcomes.
- Embrace innovation and change with the understanding that the benefits must outweigh the costs associated with implementation or of inaction.
- Broaden awareness of and commitment to Inclusiveness.
- Expand community awareness of Inclusiveness and actions taken at SCC.
- Define and incorporate social justice within Inclusiveness.
- Promote infusing Inclusiveness in all aspects of institution’s operation and its curriculum.
- Honor cultural and intellectual diversity.
- Broaden awareness of and commitment to Sustainability.
- Expand community awareness of Sustainability and actions taken at SCC.
- Define and incorporate social justice within Sustainability.
- Promote infusing Sustainability in all aspects of institution’s operation and its curriculum.
- Continue progress toward accomplishing the carbon footprint and reduction goals set forth in the Presidents’ Climate Commitment.
Objective 3.3 Stimulate effective collaboration and communication.
- Develop and maintain an organizational structure utilizing collaboration and communication among internal and external stakeholders.
- Engage relevant parties to identify issues, formulate strategies, and implement solutions.
- Build upon our tradition of shared governance by:
- Promoting transparency in planning and budgeting processes.
- Utilizing meaningful committee structures.
- Developing institutional priorities through constructive engagement.
Objective 3.4 Commit to continuous improvement and monitor progress through data, metrics, and evaluation.
- Establish a culture at the individual, departmental, and institutional levels that assesses performance and measures change to track improvement and ensure Mission alignment.
- Report annually to all stakeholders our improvement efforts, progress, and future plans.
- Compare performance against present and aspirational peers.
- Allocate resources consistent with College Vision, Mission, and Goals.
- Conduct periodic reviews as the basis for resource allocation and reallocation.
- Measure quality of service data, craft operational improvements, and report results of continuous improvement efforts.
- Assess employer satisfaction with programs and services, design and implement solutions, and report results of continuous improvement efforts.
- Conduct individual self-assessment that becomes the basis for an annual personal improvement plan.
- Perform 360-degree personnel evaluations to promote improvement.
- Adopt change management protocols which require written action plans and appropriate assessment metrics.
- Modify resource allocations and/or adjust operational processes to improve effectiveness in balance with efficiency.
Objective 3.5 Provide information, resources, and infrastructure which forms the foundation vital to accomplish our Mission and Goals.
- Provide resources, infrastructure, and integrated information to measure accomplishment and improvements at achieving student success.
- Maintain websites, social media sites, and enterprise systems to ensure they are effective, user friendly, and deliver current content.
- Maintain a robust and reliable network to meet current and future needs.
- Recognize the value of emerging technologies and adopt when appropriate.
- Ensure that facilities are safe, functional, attractive and appropriately equipped.